61 | To the Sea |

As the earliest tendrils of dawn's light crept over the glass of the dome, I chewed my last pellet, then slipped through the Temple door and out into the square. I had made my decision during the time I had spent lying on the chair-bed beneath the crystal dome gazing up at the black sky above. I did not have the courage to face Basata or Vorsti. My absence would be my answer.

Each place I passed has its own bitter or terrible memory: the Wasnami where I had nearly drowned, the Ustelin where I had felt so much pain from the relics, the Council Hall where I had been trapped in the storeroom below. Even the gates that had caused me to collapse before Soni had managed to get the pain-reducing pellets made for me.

The gates were open and the guards were so busy talking about the events of the night before that they did not even glance at me. I was able to simply walk through and leave Polemmy behind.

Ever since Brandis had spoken of the sea while we were crossing the desert, I had known that I would see it one day. I still could not believe that there could really be so much water that it was impossible to see to the other side of it. I would follow the river until it finished its journey and discover if Brandis had spoken the truth.

The Greater Harn was still foaming past the city walls where the shanty town had been, although it was slower than the day before. I felt the loss of all those people afresh. By building the Remedy I had killed them as surely as if I had thrown my knife into the heart of every man, woman and child who lived there. Yardin had been right, I had brought death to so many people. I ducked my head and refused to look at the sight.

A line of debris on the bank of the river showed how far it had risen when it was in full flood. There were branches, stones, and detritus from the shanty town. A broken chair had been cast up on the bank. A huge black bird with a bald pink head tore at the remains of a goat. I tried not to look at individual items; afraid of what I might see.

I didn't look back at Polemmy as I followed the river downstream. At last I was free of decisions, promises and prophecies. I no longer had to be what others expected or wanted me to be. I could live my life the way I wanted to now. A touch of calm lightened my sadness and regret and I felt some of the weight begin to lift from my shoulders.

'Stop! Thamet! Wait for us!' Two voices shouted from behind me.

I whirled around, heart beating fast. It couldn't be! But it was true – Quain and Reesa had found me. Happiness and relief that they had survived the flood filled me, but I immediately felt ashamed that I had not looked for them in Polemmy.

Quain wore a frown that looked out of place on such a young face. He strode up to me until we were face to face and he planted his feet firmly on the wet ground.

'Why are you leaving without saying goodbye?' he demanded.

'How did you know that I was going?' I felt stiff, awkward that I was abandoning my two young friends and tried not to show it.

'Soni saw you leaving and told us,' said Reesa, smiling although there were tear tracks on her cheeks. She reached out and took my hand in her small, dirty one. Her trust in me was so different to the first time I had met her when I had to coax her to take food from me.

'I didn't know you were alive...' It sounded weak. They had hidden me and saved my life when the guards were searching for me and I had not even thought to search for them.

'You should have looked for us! We would have looked for you.' Quain's face was growing red with anger.

'I'm sorry. I didn't think—'

'What are we going to do? Who will take care of us?' he shouted at me.

'What do you mean?'

'All of our family is gone, swept away by the river. We don't belong to anyone now,' said Reesa, her bottom lip quivering.

It hit me again. This is what I had done. It wasn't just an uncountable number of people that I had never met who had died. It was people I knew: Eldi, Irridus and Umae. It didn't matter that I had not been aware of the results my actions would bring, those people I cared about had died.

Tears sprang to my eyes and I knelt down and put my arms around Reesa. She clung to me and sobbed. After a breath or two, Quain put aside his anger and wrapped his arms around my back.

'I can't stay here,' I told them as their sobs died away. 'People hate me too much for what I've done, and other things that I didn't do, but they believe I did.'

'Then we'll come with you,' said Quain, glaring at me again.

'I don't know where I'm going. I don't know where I'll sleep or what I'll eat. I can't take you with me. I can't do that to you. You might starve. I can't put you in danger.'

Tears sprang up in Reesa's eyes again, but she nodded and then she fumbled inside her wet, ragged robe and drew out the donkey foal I had carved for her.

'The donkey wants to come with you and have adventures,' she said.

Her hand was trembling with cold as she held it out to me. I took it and she hugged me again. Her body was so thin. I realised how vulnerable the children were.

I had also been vulnerable, lying by the side of the road in Monila's arms. If Halash hadn't stopped to rescue us, then I would have died before the sun set that night and this disaster would never have occurred. Quain and Reesa would still have family to care for them.

A chain of responsibility wrapped itself around my heart, squeezing it until it hurt.

How many other children were in Polemmy, bereft of their families? The rains had come and soon there would be food for all, but who would make sure that the children were fed? Would the council do it?

The chain tightened a little more.

Halash, Doya, Veena and Kershel had owed me nothing, yet they had given me all they could.

The chain threatened to cut my heart in two.

The clouds parted for a breath and the pale sun shone through. I looked at the Greater Harn; coins of light were dancing on its waves. Somewhere, many days distant, the sun was shining on the sea that I had never seen.

I sighed and looked down at Reesa.

'I think the donkey needs a home,' I told her. 'Let's go find one for us all.'

I took the children's hands in mine and we walked back towards Polemmy.

I was not returning for Soni or Basata or for the Amphion. I was going back for the children; to give them the best life I could.

The Amphion had offered a better life for all humans if I would aid them. It was up to me to make sure that they kept their promise.

***

Author's Note: It would really help me if you could answer the questions below. I tried very hard to make the ending satisfying but leave it open enough that I can write further books about Thamet. Your answers will help me judge whether I managed it.

Do you think Thamet made the right decision?

What would you have done in his place?

Has the ending made you feel happy or sad?

If it wasn't satisfying, how would you have liked this story to end?

Now we must leave Thamet for a time - but only until the next book! I hope that you have enjoyed his adventures as much as I've enjoyed writing them.

Any feedback good or bad is truly appreciated, I am trying to make this the best story I can. Please let me know if you find anything confusing or if you think I've left anything out.

And finally, if you liked it, please press the little yellow ⭐️ to let me know!

Love to you all,

Anni X