Twisted

'The director's heels clicked against the polished floor, steps fast but unhurried as she walked into the room.'

Aturm hissed, ripping his already torn sleeve into a makeshift bandage for his arm. The gouge was deep, and blood pulsed down his arm. He needed to get moving.

'The meeting was about another foreseen attack, though Aturm didn't really care. His eyes tracked the director as she paced back and forth, strait and unwavering. She caught his gaze, a brief flicker of emotion barely noticeable in her eyes. He almost wondered if he'd imagined it. But he was certain he'd seen it before.'

The hounds could smell blood. The racket was far off, but it came closer every second as they closed in. Aturm pushed off from the tree, breaking into a run. A coldness began to seep into every bone in his body. Why was this happening?

'She met him in the hallway, as the other members trickled out to complete their own tasks. Grabbing his wrist, she smiled warmly. He suspected she was about to say something he didn't want to hear.'

He staggered, blood tearing through his veins, every nerve burning with a painful coldness. The hounds behind terrified him, spurring his legs back into motion. Shouts rang out, lights flashed through the woods. They were too close.

'"I'm sure your friend would be proud." She knew right where to hit. He smiled weakly in return, nodding. They all knew that those who were taken would never be the same. But she meant well, he was sure. She always did her best to look after him.'

Snarls came from all sides,  the searchlights not far behind. He was boxed in. There was nowhere for him to run. He had to fight. Or he would die trying. Anything was better than being taken. Anything.

'He was sent out a few hours later, along with a few other members. They split apart as they reached the village, searching for good vantage points and hiding spots. The attack wasn't supposed to happen for a few more hours. They had should have plenty of time to set up.'

There was a blur of motion off to the side, and a howl he didn't recognize tore from his throat as he was thrown to the ground.

'As he searched, he wondered if there was a reason for which places got attacked, or if it was simply at random. He smacked through bushes and tree limbs, climbing to a high point above the village. He didn't know much about the place, but looking down at it, he didn't see any reason other than to inspire fear.'

They were on him in an instant. He bucked and thrashed, a flurry of tearing and crunching ensued. Blood spattered every which way. He lashed out in fury and desperation, clawing and kicking. Yips came from the hounds as they rolled into trees, the snarls might've been his.

'He settled down at the mouth of a cave he'd found. It gave a nice view of the place, and it offered plenty of shelter. It was a perfect spot to wait.'

It didn't matter how hard he fought, the hounds were just as persistent. He could taste the dirt and blood as he gasped for air. He winced, light obscuring the face holding the light. He was caught.

'He wondered how his guild knew where the attacks were going to occur. The director said they'd had a spy on the inside. It seemed odd to him that a group as cunning as the Dragon's Guild would be ignorant to a spy.'

"Aturm." The voice sounded familiar. He hissed, and the person adjusted the light allowing him to see their face. It felt as though his stomach had just dropped into the ground, his breath stuttering out.

'He toyed with the thought that maybe his friend was the spy, but he knew full well that it was impossible. He'd been recruited too young of an age to be a spy.'

"Silvei?" Even after all this time, he could still tell it was his friend. His eyes still held their warmth, though it seemed impossible that they still could. The Dragon's Guild would've changed him. They were cruel and cunning.

'He rubbed the marking on his neck. The symbol of his membership. They were always told to cover it in public, so that they remained safe.'

"But how?" Aturm cried out as he attempted to rise, only to deepen he wounds from the hounds as they bit into him. "You still seem...like yourself..." Maybe he was just clinging onto a crazy hope.

'As he spotted one of the other members climbing up the mountain path, he felt a cold rush down his spin, leaving a tingling sensation in its place, similar to one he got when a limb fell asleep. The sensation spread, and he fell mostly immobile onto the ground.'

"I still am, same as you." Silvei's words seemed almost bittersweet as he knelt down. "But the Light-bearers have been using you. Your the dragon. If you think back now, I know you can remember. We got to you first this time."

'The other member ran up, looking to be in a panic. He was muttering something about this being too early, then pulled out a spiraling spike. Adrenaline coursed though his body as the other member raised the knife above him. It felt as though his body had been lit on fire.'

"I-I..." He was too weak to fight as Silvei carefully lifted him off the ground. He wasn't even certain he wanted to fight, even if he could.

'Aturm lashed out. His speed caught the other member off guard as the spike went spiraling down the mountain. Kicking out with his leg, he send the other member tumbling down after. Barely a thought went to what it all meant as pain twisted his mind.'

"I'm not going to let them have you, Aturm. Not anymore."

'Screams twisted out from his throat. He thrashed and clawed, ground crumbling below him. As darkness overtook his mind, he caught a glimpse of the village far below.'