Chapter 26

My thoughts were halted for a moment as soon as I heard those words escape his mouth. And when I regained consciousness to ask him where, his phone interrupted with its loud ringing. As soon as Sargam picked up the phone I could see his creased forehead becoming more and more tensed with each passing second. A lone tear left his eye as the phone ended and I was immediately by his side. I asked him slowly unsure of his reaction,"What happened?"

His words were just a mere whisper but I knew I heard him correctly, " My mother had an accident while she was out to run some errands." Shock was evident on my face but I knew that he was in dire need of his best friend. I couldn't ask him about my brother at this point of time. I could see that he was too scared. Too scared to lose her. His mother. We both immediately left for the hospital after informing my parents. I decided not to tell about it to Vikram as I was with Sargam and Vikram also deserved some personal space. 

As soon as we reached the hospital, we found that his mother was going for an operation. She had an accident due to brake failure of the other person. He should have died from impact,because of the accident's effect but he was really lucky to be out of danger. There stood Sargam's father with tear stained eyes, sobbing quietly with his head in his hands. On the other hand I could see Sargam looking longingly at the operation theatre. And after a few minutes, I found his resolve to stay strong till the end of operation slowly breaking. Tears brimming his eyes were freely flowing with his body crouching slowly and I made him sit on the chair pulling him in a tight hug. He needed it and I knew it. I slowly started consoling him whispering words I wasn't myself sure of,"She'll be alright.""Don't worry.""She'll stay strong for you and live."

And the words that left his mouth were like a knife slicing me from inside,"I don't want to lose her like grandpa." He started sobbing violently and I rubbed soothing circles on his back. Slowly, his sobs started to reduced with a question lingering in my head,'How did grandpa die and when?' But this was not the time to ask such questions with the current situation.

He had stopped crying a while ago but my arms were still around him. Even I was worried for his mother because she loved me just like her daughter always. Whenever I'd go to his house for studies or just to play, she would make my favourite food. Whenever Sargam and I would fight, she would take my side. She really was like another mother to me.

Another thing that worried me was grandpa. Grandpa was always there for Sargam like a father as Sargam's father was himself a workaholic. I too had a strong bond with the quite funny and intelligent grandpa. I missed him a lot. Maybe Sargam would tell me about it when he'll be ready. I just need to wait for the right time to come.