8| The Waterfall

Wyatt
THORNE

“Keep up, Lia, we’re almost there,” I called behind me. 

“Where are you taking me, Wyatt? I don’t do this.” 

I laughed under my breath. ‘This’ to her was hiking. We weren’t hiking. I drove her about ten miles from the lake house to a little spot I found and knew she would love. Maybe not as much as she loved her bathroom though. When I saw her face light up like that, I knew I made the right choice. She used to make me watch those HGTV renovation shows a lot when we were younger. She told me repeatedly what her dream home was; especially her bathroom. She always told me she was a long-soaking-bubble-bath type. I wanted to do something nice for her, and when my parents told me they were buying this house, the idea hit me. 

Obviously, this wasn’t her home, but if she and Logan stated together, then she would be coming here a lot. Christ. Logan. Seeing her with my brother was the hardest thing I’ve ever experienced. I couldn’t be mad at her for it. Or blame her. I was the one that put my foot down on any possible romantic anything between us. I remembered that fucking day so clearly and I wished I did it differently. But, I didn’t. I was scared. Scared of something happening that would cost Lia and I our friendship. 

I was going to kiss her that day. I was going to tell her how I felt and I was so close. But just as my lips barely brushed hers, she beat me to it. She told me she was in love with me and I broke into a cold sweat. Panic struck my chest like a tidal wave-- and I reacted. I told her I didn’t feel the same, then I moved across the country. I tried getting over her. I tried dating. But no one compared to her. I’ve known her since we were kids. I knew everything about her. We knew each other’s secrets. But I fucked everything up. 

Now, she was dating my brother. Fuck! When I first heard about that over the phone, I threw up. The thought of Logan kissing Lia or touching her made me sick. I loved my brother, and Lia was amazing, but I was not okay with it. At all. I pretended to be--for them. I kept my feelings in check. I was still Lia’s best friend and that would never change. It just killed me. I thought about staying in California and getting a job there after graduation, but I knew it wasn’t really what I wanted. I wanted to be home. I wanted to be around my family and Lia. 

I thought I was going to be fine when I saw her. But she had to wear that damn black dress. Everything I did to prepare myself went out of the window. Then she hugged me. She felt just like I remembered. She sounded just like I remembered. She had that same flowery perfume scent that I remembered. Then there was the panic attack she had. They started when she was eleven. They got worse in high school. What happened at the restaurant was the worst I had ever seen. 

The past few days I felt guilty about the almost-kiss we had in her bedroom. We were both wasted and I didn’t even know if she still had feelings for me. Besides, she was with Logan. I repeated that to myself over and over again every damn day.

I ran my hand over my face. I needed to get a girlfriend or something. Just find someone I could get along with and make it work. Then, eventually, I could probably get over her. No. I WOULD get over her. I just needed to make sure there were no more almost-kisses. 

“Wyatt! How much further?” 

I stopped and turned. Lia placed her hand against the trees she passed so she wouldn’t fall. She stepped over rocks and large tree branches as she got closer to me.I wondered if she actually put a bathing suit on. She said she did. I couldn’t tell because she had on shorts and a t-shirt. 

“We’re almost there,” I said as I waited for her. 

When she finally caught up to me, she stopped and narrowed her eyes. “Did you bring me here to...you know,” she ran her finger along her throat.