10| Stone Face Liar

Clay did not look like he had just lost his brother

Clay did not look like he had just lost his brother. In fact, there were no emotions written on him. The boy looked lifeless.

From the instant she left her vehicle, officer Matthew had already started investigating the regions around the Alister house. It wasn't hard to notice the grim atmosphere shrouding the grey building. Though it looked clean and welcoming, there were no bikes in the yard, there were no birds on the lawn or leaves.

While the other houses had their windows open to let light in, this one was completely locked up. Nothing seemed to want to stop foot here. Nothing except for her.

"Matthew," another officer beckoned "keep up" His voice, low and demanding, signaled that she was taking too long staring rather than walking with the others.

By the time she got to the door, three out of the five officers there were already inside. They had the simple task of following up on a 9-1-1 call from this house. While they did that, another handful from the department were to investigate some area in the forest. She had overheard them speak about a boy calling about finding a body. The news made her dizzy with excitement.

That's where the action was, not here. If only her plan to convince the chief to let her go with the others had worked. Either way, she was here now and would do her utmost best.

"Ugh, back here again," one of the younger men next to her groaned in disgust.

"What's with this family?" his associate snickered, the two of them chuckling under their breaths. The two walked right next to her as they followed the others to what she would assume was the living room.

Taking quick glances to the back, she glanced into the open kitchen. White walls that matched the light grey outside, there laid a few large stains here and there but they didn't seem to be recent. The wooden floor, well swept and vacuumed with the machine placed next to the refrigerator. A fire extinguisher was resting on top of the table along with a toaster and oven mitts. The dishes, all packed away, the towels folded, someone even pushed the chairs under the tiny table in an orderly manner. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Well, not enough to warrant an investigation of the house.

"If I knew we were going to this house, I would have stayed at the prescient," the two continued to act unprofessional, giving her a headache with their insistent laughter. Why did five officers have to come here, anyway? It's not like they would need backup talking to a kid. These fools could have just remained in the car while the people who are serious do all the work.

"You made the call?" Officer Lewis questioned. They all stopped at the centre of the room, keeping their mouths shut so he could get what they came here for.

Yet for all, her eyes kept looking at the boy like he was a talking do-nut. He sat there with slouched shoulders and his hands resting on either side of him. There were tear stains covering his cheeks, matching with the redness in his eyes and the blank expression on his face. She wondered whether the boy had noticed their entrance or was too exhausted to care.