Chapter 20

"My dad?" I asked frantically, turning all my attention the the guard.

"It's a young female," he stated, pointing out into the forest. "I suggest you come and take a look Alpha."

Logan nodded, stepping out of the house and walking past me, giving Theo a look of fury.

"You!" exclaimed the guard, marching up to Theo and grabbing him by the shoulder. "We've been looking for you!"

Logan turned to look at us, his eyes flickering to my pleading ones for a split second before he sighed, shaking his head. "Leave him, he's not a threat. Just show me the girl."

The guard raised his eyebrows, puzzled, but followed Logan's orders and stepped away from Theo, leading Logan towards the forest.

I waited a few seconds before following, hoping Logan wasn't going to object, but he seemed too intent on the situation to even notice Theo and I trailing behind him.

"What if it's dangerous?" whispered Theo, grabbing my hand and pulling me to a stop.

I shook my head, smiling. "Theo, it'll be fine. We can keep our distance; I just really want to see how Logan handles this."

Theo nodded, gently nudging me forward. "Okay, but we keep our distance. I wouldn't be able to face your Dad knowing I arrived here and instantly got you killed."

I rolled my eyes, continuing to stealthily follow Logan and the guard through the busy village, turning the corner towards the forest. "So my father sent you here to babysit me?"

"No, he wanted me to come and talk to you and just check you were doing alright, but I told him I was coming here for me, not him. I didn't like the way things were left, and I needed to talk to you."

"About what exactly?" I asked, scanning the forest for Logan's form.

"My mother called me last night. She said she wants me to come back and she misses me."

I turned to Theo, my brows furrowed. "You're leaving?"

The thought of Theo leaving to go back to his old pack struck a cord in my heart, and it physically hurt. Theo was a close friend of mine and I didn't want this to be our goodbye. I didn't want him to leave, knowing I would probably not see him again.

"I don't want to go back yet, but James' pack is small and you were the only good thing about it, but now you're gone. I feel like I don't really have a purpose there anymore Eliza."

Theo dropped his gaze, avoiding eye contact.

I sighed, running my hands through my chestnut brown hair in frustration. I didn't want to lose Theo as a friend. Our friendship had only just started; it couldn't be over already. "We'll figure something out."

Theo gave me a sad smile, nodding slightly, and I turned, feeling a wave of sadness wash over me. I pushed the feelings aside, making my way through the forest, following the distant sound of Logan's voice.

I had guessed he probably knew I was there, but he didn't seem bothered at all. He seemed to be ignoring me in front of his pack members, not wanting to cause a scene.

Theo and I turned the corner, stumbling through the forest as it became more and more dense, letting us know we were reaching the border, but just as I was about to step around a large oak tree, I smashed into a hard chest.

I looked up to see Logan, shaking his head at me as he held onto my arms, steadying me. "Why are you following me?"

"I want to see what's going on too," I stated, trying to peer around his large form.