The Sandcastle Chapter 1

The Stone

Justin and I walked down the beach. "There is nothing to do!" I exclaimed. Sea gulls scattered at the sound of my voice and soared into the air.

"What do you mean 'there's nothing to do'?" Justin questioned. " It is 12 in the afternoon, it is 102 degrees outside, why don't you want to go swimming?"

"After living at the beach your entire life, swimming can get a little old." I replied. We walked in silence for a while. I kneeled down and picked up a colorful stone, it shimmered like glass as the sunlight hit it and made a rainbow in the rough sand. I stuck it in my pocket, " Why don't we go looking for shells?" I requested, looking around for other rocks and shells.

" Selena, I don't think you need anything else in your rock collection." Justin said as he stepped into the cool ocean water. "Well, what do you suggest we do" I asked " besides swimming" I added quickly.

" I don't know, why don't you build a sand castle."

"Ok" I exclaimed

" You seriously want to build a sand castle? Are you sure you're 15?" I punched him on the shoulder and then ran up to the house to get some shovels and pails.

We worked for hours shoveling, packing, forming, and tapping until finally we had a good sized, yet lopsided castle. I had carved little windows and a door, and formed a few tiny rooms. I pulled the stone out of my pocket and placed it in the highest of my rooms.

"Well I am starved!" Justin said, I jumped slightly and looked up at the sky to see the sun almost under the ocean waters.

" Race you to the house" I yelled and we dashed off towards food and sleep.

* * *

After a meal of chicken pot pie, I went to my room to get ready for bed. I thought about the rainbow rock as I was brushing my teeth.

What if the stone has some... mystical powers? What if I get super powers from touching it? But what if it was just a rock that was painted?

My what ifs' went on and on. As I got into bed I was thinking of unicorns sprouting from the rock, and a rainbow girl, with super powers, and of magical worlds were there is only fun. I finally drifted off to sleep.

I awoke the next morning to dissapointment. I had no super powers, and as I looked out the window, I saw that our sandcastle was swept away by the waves. Plus, what added to that sadness was that ,along with the sandcastle, my rainbow rock was gone too. Plus, as if I needed to feel worse, it was Tuesday, I had to go to school.

I dragged myself out of bed at 6:30 in the morning and got ready for school. I put some clean clothes on, went to my bathroom and washed my face, then brushed my hair, and fixed my hair, and so on and so forth. Just as I was putting in my contacts, my mother yelled that it was time to go.

I ran back to my room, grabbed a hoodie and raced to the car. I opened up the car door to find Justin already in the front seat. "There is no way that I am going to show up at school in the back seat, Again!" I protested.

"Well then why didn't you get here sooner? I got to the car first, I ride in front." Justin said, then slammed the door and locked it. I climbed into the backseat and kicked the back of his chair as hard as I could. "Stop it!" he yelled. " I can't wait untill I get my own car."

"You could have one now if you had the money." I reminded him. He was after all, 16.

"Mom, why won't you and dad buy me a car?"

"Son, we have gone over this a thousand times, we agreed that we would buy you your first car when you have your license, not just a permit." Mom and Justin had this conversation every morning. It was really starting to get old.

We rode in silence, other than the blaring of the radio. I looked out the window as we passed by some of my favorite places. The sunshine mall, one of Florida's many zoos, the boat dock, and Happy Days soda shop. Happy Days was one of my friends many hangouts.

We drove up to the sidewalk of J. M. Loyal High and I climbed out of the backseat. I walked with Claire to the front door.

1st period- geometry

2nd period- science

3rd period- world history

4th period- visual arts

Lunch period

5th period-algebra

6th-English

7th-band

The bell finally rang at 3:15 and Layla and I walked out to the bus together.

"So there was a rainbow on the rock?" Layla questioned. "That is like, impossible. Somebody must have painted it on."

"Well it wasn't really on the rock, it was like it was flowing from the center and shinning out when the sun hit it." I replied

"You are such a Drama Queen" Layla rolled her eyes and stepped into the bus. I followed behind her and sat down in the first empty seat. I pressed my face against the window and looked at the blurry trees and buildings untill they faded away and my mind took flight.

* * *

As soon as I got home our neighbor's baby was at my house, and mom told me that I had to babysit.

"They always dump little Sophie on me whenever they get the chance to, she is barely 1! They hardly spend enough time with their only child." I complained. Mom just gave me her 'stare' so I just picked up Soph and walked to my room. I sat her in the corner with her favorite toys and grabbed my phone to chat with Claire, Layla, and Tiffany.

All Layla wanted to talk about was how hard her math homework is, and Tiffany wanted to go to the mall, and Claire only talked about the new movie that she saw. Then our conversation somehow turned to the new guy at school.

"He has such dreamy eyes." Clair said.

"I know, theye are like a metalic blue, they just draw you in and you can't look away!" Layla replied

"Do you think he wears those colored contacs?" Tifanny questioned.

"No way!" I put in, "they would show some of the true color,

I should know. Been there tried that, never goin back." The convorsation continued untill there was nothing left to say. So I hung up and took Sophie into the living room so I could watch TV.

I watched Family Guy untill I was splitting my sides with laughter then took Sophie back home so I could take a shower and go to bed.

* * *

When I was trying to go to sleep, I hoped that anything could happen so I wouldn't have to go to school tomorrow. I liked to see my friends, but just the thought of getting up so early did not appeal to me. So I hoped for snow, even if it was early September, Tornadoes, Hail, anything that would let me sleep.