Chapter 95

On the day of my sixteenth birthday, even though Mrs. Weasley had asked me to stay behind and enjoy a day off at home, I still went to the twins' joke shop.

That day, Angelina Johnson showed up at the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes with her family and to visit Fred and George, who were old school friends of hers.

"They're obviously into each other," said Fred as him and I watched George and Angelina chatting in the distance, laughing together.

"How can they be so dumb as to not realize this and get together already!" I huffed, shaking my head.

"Exactly!" He nodded briskly.

By that, Fred and I turned to face each other and grinned knowingly, both of us probably thinking about how we were probably worse.

I found myself enjoying the twins' company that day more than ever and for our free time, we went down to the ice cream shop in Diagon Alley.

I ate so much that I swore I would never touch another food ever again. But of course I broke my promise when we went back to the Burrow that night and saw Mrs. Weasley had made me a homemade cake.

Although Harry's birthday later on was slightly more crowded as Remus, Bill, and Mr. Weasley were there as well. But it was rather gloomy, as they kept going on about the earliest news.

"There have been another couple of dementor attacks," said Lupin as Mrs. Weasley passed him a large slice of birthday cake. "And they've found Igor Karkaroff's body — well, frankly, I'm surprised he stayed alive for even a year after deserting the Death Eaters; Sirius's brother, Regulus, only managed a few days as far as I can remember."

I had a sudden urge to say that Regulus Black wasn't murdered by Death Eaters. But of course kept my mouth shut and ate my cake.

"Speaking of Sirius," Harry started, turning on Lupin. "Do you have any news of him? Where is he? What's he doing?"

"He's alright," said Lupin, shaking a hand at him reassuringly. "He's on Order's business. But he's doing fine, the last time I heard of him. Besides, he's in good company."

"Whose company?" Harry asked, but Lupin only smiled into his drink and remained silent.

     "Did you hear about Florean Fortescue, Remus?" asked Bill, who was being plied with wine by Fleur. "The man who ran —"

     "— the ice-cream place in Diagon Alley?" Harry interrupted. "He used to give me free ice creams. What's happened to him?"

     "Dragged off recently, by the look of his place."

     "Why?" asked Ron, while Mrs. Weasley glared at Bill for bringing up subjects like this.

"Who knows? He must've upset them somehow. He was a good man, Florean."

     "Talking of Diagon Alley," said Mr. Weasley, "looks like Ollivander's gone too."

     "The wandmaker?" said Ginny, looking startled.

     "That's the one. Shop's empty. No sign of a struggle. No one knows whether he left voluntarily or was kidnapped."

     "Anyway," said Lupin, standing up. "I better get going. Thanks for the tea and cake, Molly. It was wonderful."

"Oh, are you sure you can't stay any longer?" asked Mrs. Weasley, standing up to escort him toward the door.

"Yes, yes. I do have to go." Lupin gave her a warm smile before turning to us with a wave, saying, "Goodnight."

With that, he left the house and closed the door behind him. I don't know what suddenly got into me and how the thought popped into my head, but I immediately got to my feet and ran toward the door.

Opening it briskly, I ran outside after Lupin, who still hadn't Apparated and called after him, "WAIT UP!"

I was grateful when he stopped and turned around questioningly, waiting for me to catch up with me.

"What is it, Lexi?" Lupin asked kindly as I reached him, slightly panting.

"Look," I sighed, rubbing my eyes as I tried to quickly think of how I was going to go with it. "There's something I've been wanting to talk to Sirius about for a long while now."

"Aha...?" he said hesitantly.

"I-I don't know if he has talked to you about it or not... but I thought I would try to ask you, seeing as I have no idea when's the next time I'm going to Sirius. And — and it's driving me crazy."

"And what is it?" he asked, looking slightly anxious as he glanced down at me.

"It's about my mother," I said. "I realized that if she was a school friend of Sirius, then you must know her too."

"Y-your mother?" He gulped. "Look, Lexi, I don't think I'm the right person to have this conversation with —"

"Please," I groaned in frustration. "It's driving me mental to know! Just tell me if you knew her or not."

Lupin sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Damn you, Sirius," he muttered grimly to himself.

"Well?" I insisted, trying to catch his eyes as he looked at anywhere but me.

"Listen, Lexi," he started, finally turning on me, "what I want you to understand is that whatever you hear — whatever you figure out — it doesn't change who you are."

"Doesn't change — what are you talking about?" I asked, frowning.

"Look, Sirius is not sure himself. He made me promise not to talk to anyone about it, specially you, until he was absolutely sure about it."

"About what?" I scolded, folding my arms. "About the possibility that he's my father?"

By those words, I saw the color drain from Lupin's worn out face as he stared at me in horror.

"How — I don't —" He cleared his throat, trying to get a hold of himself. "Wh-why would you think that?"

"Well? Is he? Am I truly a Black?"

"I-I think I'll better go..." said Lupin, blinking a few times as he turned on his heels.

"No, no. Wait! WAIT!" I shouted after him but it was too late, because he had already Disapparated.