[23] Axe Murderer | Parcel 9 I | Tease

Running has been my worst enemy since elementary school. I was never fat, but I was painfully weak when it came to anything sports related. But, as JJ and I heard a girl cry for help down the road– close to where John B was, we took off sprinting. Kiara and Pope caught up quickly, Pope pulling ahead of me while I matched pace with Kiara.

"Sarah, what happened?" Pope demanded as he arrived at the scene.

I skidded to a stop in my heels, nearly falling and breaking my ankles when I saw Sarah Cameron dressed in all white, hunched over the barely conscious body of John B. She sobbed, a steady stream of tears falling down her cheeks as she pushed John B's hair out of his face. "I don't know what to do. He needs help. Topper pushed him," She hiccuped, all her words spewing out at once.

"Where the hell is he?" JJ growled, his head whipping back and forth, ready for a fight.

"Please, please help! I don't care who. Just call someone!" She cried.

"Go! Go!" JJ hurried Pope, pushing him to give him a head start. "Call an ambulance!

"Help! Please." My heart clenched at the way Sarah was crying for John B. I felt myself get emotional because I was unsure if he hit his head or damaged his spine, and those type of injuries can be life changing. I grabbed Kie's hand, holding it tight in my own.

"Pope! Hurry!" Kiara bellowed. Thunder cracked again as Kiara looked down at the John B. She watched as Sarah leaned over his body, kissing him as if it would wake him up. Unfortunately, the real world doesn't work like fairytales do.

"Pope!" JJ shouted, growing more anxious as time went on with us being unable to do anything. "Come on!" 

All I know is if we didn't meet up with Sarah, this wouldn't have happened.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

  It was surprising how easy JJ could act as if nothing happened. As if he didn't kiss me. As if I didn't push him away. As if I didn't try to talk to him about it. As if he didn't tell me to forget it happened. I wondered if pretending that his father beating on him wasn't wrong contributed to his acting skills. Just thinking that made me want to spew my guts.

I spent the night at Kiara's, and the next morning the two of us were hanging out at The Wreck when JJ and Pope showed up. I expected things to be awkward and strained, probably even painful, but he smiled and carried on as if nothing happened. So, I swallowed whatever feelings I had for the moment and decided if I can't beat him, join him.

Kiara disappeared into the back to get everyone drinks after a couple minutes of us sitting at a round table. Hopefully, she'll bring lemonade since I'm owed one from the time I was forced to leave without finishing the one I had. I sat next to Pope with JJ standing above us, talking about how he'd love to go to a Kook party. But, only for the purpose to make fun of everyone there.

I nodded along, only partially listening as I traced my finger along the wood of the table. I felt a kick to the back of my chair, making my body jump. I turned to see JJ, his face looking as if he was expecting me to say something.

"What?"

"We should hangout at your place," he suggested casually, shrugging his shoulders. "Everyone, I mean. Pope, Kie, John B, you, and me. The gang."

Pope's eyes were wide as JJ mentioned my place, suddenly making the taboo topic not so taboo. Pope glanced between the two of us, his body tense as he expected me to lash out at any second.