Chapter Thirty One:The Pledge

The Next Day

I woke up to my phone ringing. I sat up and I grabbed it, it was jay's mom. 

[Me:hello]

[Ms.Keith:Josie I'm so sorry]

[Me:Ms.Keith what are you talking about?]

[Ms.Keith:Jay....]

Her voice cracked and I heard her cry. 

[Me:What about jay?]

I grew worried. 

[Me:Ms.Keith wheres jay?]

[Ms.Keith:He went for a run last night an-and a cop thought he was a criminal and shot him,,, my babies dead]

She cried and my heart sank we got off the phone and my phone was blowing up with my group chat. I ran downstairs and my family was in the kitchen. 

Colson:*smiles* Good morning princess I-

The front door flew open and my friends all came in they were all a mess. 

Damon:Jo are you okay

Tears fell down my cheeks and we all collided hugging. 

Mari:I can't believe it

The hug broke. 

Bella:theres a video

We went in the kitchen and I opened my laptop bella searched it and clicked it. My uncles, dad and sister. 

*In video*

Officer:STOP RIGHT NOW

He held his gun up and jay stopped putting his hands up. 

Jay:I'm just going for a jog officer-

Officer:ON THE GROUND NOW

Jay:Okay I just-

He pulled his headphones out the officer pulled the trigger

*out of video*

I turned away releasing a breath my dad put his arms around me. 

Damon:His mom is a wreck. 

Today was a rough day. 

The Next Day

I pulled on the same black dree with the same black heels. I walked downstairs seeing my bestfriends and family dressed. We left to the cemetary, we got out and saw his family. We walked over his mother hugged me she was emotional as any mother would be. The reception was beautiful. Then it was time for the casket lowering and flowering his mother requested I sing during this so I got up and stood infront of the mic. I cleared my throat as slim played the piano. 

Me:Standin' on the platform Watching you go It's like no other pain I've ever known To love someone so much To have no control You said, "I wanna see the world" And I said, "Go"

The casket began to lower. 

Me:But I think I'm lost without you I just feel crushed without you I've been strong for so long That I never thought how much I needed you I think I'm lost without you

My dad comforter Ms.Keith and one by one people started dropping flowers on his casket. 

Me:Strangers rushin' past Just tryna get home But you were the only Safehaven that I've known Hits me at full speed Feel like I can't breathe And nobody knows This pain inside me My world is crumbling I should never have Let you go

Tears fell down my cheeks but I had to push through for his mom. 

Me:I think I'm lost without you I think I'm lost, lost, lost Ooh-way, ooh-way, ooh-way, ooh, ooh I think I'm lost without you, you I just feel crushed without you 'Cause I've been strong for so long That I never thought how much I love you 

The last people dropped flowers and sat down. 

Me:Standin' on the platform Watching you go You said, "I wanna see the world" And I said, "Go"

(Song Lost without you by Freya Ridings)

Afterwards

Everyone was leaving and momentarily talking to his mom. Eventually it was just me and Ms.Keith. His casket was burried and she stood staring at it. 

Ms.Keith:Thank you for this

Me:Of course you know your like family Ms.Keith

Ms.Keith:He loved you ya know I swear your *smiles* all that boy talked about

I smiled matching hers. 

Ms.Keith:Here

She gave me a small shoe box. 

Ms.Keith:He would've wanted you to have this

Me:Thank you 

Ms.Keith:Go on to your family baby I'll be fine

Me:Are you sure

She nodded and I hugged her. 

Me:Call if you need anything

Ms.Keith:I will

I walked over to my friends and family and we got in the car and went home. We changed and hung out for awhile until they had to leave. I went up to my room and sat at my desk opening the box. There was photos of us and memories, there was a flash drive and an envelope with a letter. I pulled it out and started reading, it was touching. 

"....I hope one day I can release this song together and show everybody what real love is..."

I smiled and I picked up the drive and went downstairs and into the studio my dad following. 

Colson:what ya doing

Me:He wrote a song for me

I put the drive in and there was only one song on it I clicked it and this beautiful piano came in then him singing.

"I dedicate this song to you I dont know what I would do if you ever left me now my heart would fall to the ground, started off it always starts off with thigns going very well like beginings of fairytales we made each other laugh and smile thats why I need you around when I'm with you I'm the happiest cause your the purpose to my happiness...."

My dad put his arm around me. 

"We kissed and we fell in love girl I dont know why you gave up girl you know what your made of girl I'm doing everything that I can I hurts to see you with another man......your just so perfect theres no one to compete with no one else is on my mind girl all I want is you just tell me what your going through just tell me what you need"

I wiped my tears and I did what I did best to cope. I started writing and I recorded it. 

"I might make mistakes and I might change my ways but I'll never let go"

I walked out and listened to it back. 

Colson:what do you wanna name it?

Me:The pledge

He nodded typing and saving it.