Chapter Twenty-Two: Matthew

Matthew was in a car. Again.

Only this time, he was in charge of helping Mr. Grey navigate as the man drove a silver minivan down the winding suburban streets. Fill, Yang, and Fire Fists were in the back seat, fully clothed in obnoxious outfits that reminded Matthew of Halloween costumes.

For one, Yang was literally wearing what looked like a white and black martial arts robe with a bandana strapped around her head, cut with eyeholes. To Matthew, she looked like a female version of Zorro.

And Fill? He was wearing what looked like a leotard. His suit was skintight, cut at his biceps and middle-thighs, and was baby blue with orange accents. Around his waist was a utility belt, stuffed with what Matthew assumed was food. The boy had been snacking the whole car ride, which was the source of his annoyance. It was hard to stay focused when every ten minutes there was the sound of a bag opening or the crunch of his chewing.

Finally, there was Fire Fists—or "Fists", he heard them called him—who was hardly wearing a costume at all. In fact, it looked like all he was wearing was a loose sweatshirt and a strange pair of pants.

Neither him nor Fill had a mask.

And thanks to his own stupidity, neither did Matthew.

A voice rang from all the way in the back of the car, a voice that Matthew probably would never get used to casually hearing. He had almost forgotten that Jason and Platinum occupied the trunk.

"Did we get lost?" Platinum asked. "How's our little co-pilot doing?"

"I think he's doing an excellent job, sir," Fill answered. "Absolutely flawless. I've only seen that road sign over there three times."

"Shut it, Fill," Yang interjected. "You have not. He's doing his best."

"Keep quiet. Focus." Mr. Grey scolded from the driver's seat. "Matthew, what's the next turn?"

Matthew looked down at the phone he had been given, squinting at the GPS. "Take a left in point eight miles, then continue on that road for another mile."

"How much longer?" Asked Jason.

"About fifteen minutes," Matthew replied.

Mr. Grey added to that, "Is everyone ready? Focused and prepared to adhere to the plan?"

"Yes, sir," was their consecutive reply.

Even Platinum and Jason chimed in.

"Okay, good, like we've established this villain is going to be no easy foe. If something happens and we are overtaken, you kids know what to do."

"Yes, run and find backup," Yang recited.

Matthew hated the sound of that. It literally felt like he was living the definition of insanity; doing something over and over all while expecting a new outcome. He only hoped that it wouldn't come down to them fleeing and leaving Amberchase's best hero in the hands of his twisted guardian.

"Matthew. Matthew?"

He hadn't realized he had spaced out until he heard Mr. Grey calling his name. He turned towards him and blinked.

"What's the next turn?"

Matthew quickly looked down at the phone, his eyes widening as he rushed to comprehend what the GPS was telling him. "Uh...take a left here."

As the car veered left, Matthew heard Yang speak up. "We've really gotta get you a hero alias. You can't waltz in there going by your real name."