Chapter thirteen;;

" Angel, let's go."

I groaned, rolling over and shoving my face into the pillow. I could feel Arson's eyes drilling into the back of my head. He sighed, and jumped up on the bed. Crouching over my body, his elbows on his knees, he said, " I will pour a bucket of cold water on you."

" You don't have a bucket." I mumbled.

" Fine. I'll get a cup and i'll fill it twice. Get your lazy ass up." He bounced the bed slightly.

I pushed one of his knees and he stumbled off the bed. Drawing his brows together, he spun on his heels and walked briskly to the bathroom, cup in hand. Filling it with the coldest water the faucet could produce.

And next thing I knew, I was freezing. Or at least my right shoulder was. Five seconds later, my lower back and my right shoulder were equals. I squealed, jumped, and attacked Nick. I grabbed the cup and straight up threw it at him. Laughing he caught it and said,, " Morning sunshine."

I flipped him the bird and went to get dressed. Flipping my hair, I decided it was better to let it do it's own thing than fight a losing war. Nick gave me a smug smile when I left the bathroom. I flipped him off again.

I slipped on my shoes and he spun the keys around his index finger.

~~~

Grandma was extremely estatic that day. She seemed even more chipper than she was the previous night. Her glow came more naturally, everything about her seemed easier and healthier. I couldn't supress my smile the hours we were with her.

After awhile she said, " Carter dear, can I talk to Nicholas alone?"

I went a little wide eyed, but nodded, " um, yeah sure."

Slowly standing, I pushed my chair in without a second thought and turned to the door. Nick looked just as baffled as I was. Once outside I shut the door with a soft click. I leaned my full weight against it, thinking about why she could possibly want to talk to Nick alone.

I felt my pocket. I had my phone which had twenty bucks stuck in the case. Another deep breath and I was walking away from the door and outside, where I could breath in fresh air and keep a calm mind. Of all the times for something to hit me, this wasn't a good one.

But Nick entered my mind so fast I nearly tripped. It was in that moment that I could feel his cool lips against mine and I could remember the every surface of his body as he pulled himself out of the water. The only thought that was completely formed by my conscience mind was, she knows. that little old lady knows.

Of course, she couldn't know. She wasn't there that night and she certainly wasn't telepathic. I froze. Or was she? looking at the other people on the street, I decided to keep walking as to not disrupt the flow of the sidewalk.

Then there was the thought of why I even kissed him to begin with. He was there, right in front of me, and very real. Every aspect of him was concrete and solid and it was so easy that I forgot just briefly how difficult he really was. Then all the hateful thoughts came to my mind, that little fucking piece of shit asshole motherfucker. He fucking teased me. the asshole. the beanie wearing, shoelaceless mother effer pulled a dick move. god damn it.

But it couldn't have only been him either. I could have pulled back. He wasn't holding me so tightly that I could push away. I, as much as I didn't want to admit it, had completely lost myself in it as well.

By that point in my conversation I was at the pier. So I followed the wooden walkways over the water and kept going, kept thinking. My grandmother took so kindly to him, like it was that easy to be around him. she had no idea. About the only easy thing about being around him was his cooking skills, and even that was muffled by his taste in music and personality. Need I remind myself of his best friend? Need I remind myself of how he acted when that very friend cheated right on the spot, no questions asked. He was repulsed.