"The cookie lady"

" Eva ran away, yesterday." Sin shared with his best friend , while watching the smoke of his cigar evaporate into nothing. 

Being a single father was never an easy task. He knew it since the time he laid eyes on Eva that his life is shifting. He tries to be carefree and live in the moment but keeping in mind that he has a six year old waiting for him to come home each evening, have dinner with her, check on her homework and buy her as many toys as she pleases. He is trying his best but being a young father to a rebellious, sarcastic , witty girl is never easy...Still it had its perks; having the hottest nannies as bed warmers even though Eva seemingly had enough of that.

"What! Where the hell was Susan , Lily or Emma or whoever her last nanny was!" Brad asked surprised especially at how calm his best friend was.   

" Amelia was with me but I fired her so relax." Sin brushed off thinking of how to hire a new nanny as soon as possible. His cousin won't always be available to take care of Eva so he needed a solution fast.

" Eva's escape isn't Amelia's fault only . " Brad pointed making Sin shrug raising in the shoulders in a nonchalant  manner. 

"I am paying her to take of Eva and not my needs . She wanted something on the side and should have made sure that the door was locked and that Eva was busy in her room." Sin easily defended making sense to his own ears only.

"Where did you find her?" Brad continued bringing his own cigar to his lips and enjoying its bitter taste.

"The cookie lady." Sin answered reminding Brad of how happily Eva spoke of her neighbor plenty of times.

"Eva clearly loves that woman. Why won't you hire her as a nanny?" Brad suggested 

"She is not nanny material but she promised Eva that her house is always open to her whenever she pleases." Sin uttered as he sunk deeper into his office chair remembering the sacre of last night: Eva is still grounded for it. No phone, laptops or anything for a week.

"So there won't be any movie clichés of the hot girl next door falling for you and you giving Eva the mother of her dreams?" Brad continued jokingly making Sin chock on the whiff of cigar he took.

"Ruby isn't my type at all. " Sin defended and an image of the black haired and eyed woman flashed in front of him. 

Ruby Davis was a tall brunette with hair so black that it shined against her white skin. It flowed down her back like black ink on a piece of parchment.  It was dark and poker straight, yet soft, moving like prairie grass in the wind. Her eyes were shades darker reminding him of the night sky. Even the reflection of the light looked like tiny stars.Her lips thinned in one light pink line as he scolded Eva and he saw her hands twitch to hide the girl behind her. Her form looked robust and curvy underneath her hoodie and leggings.

" Does that mean I call dibs if I like her?" Brad continued to joke and Sin shook his head at how childish he sounded.

"She is a woman of morals. The type that becomes a wife not like the ones you go for." Sin explained.

"Oh, and you seemingly don't like her?" Brad picked on his best friend's tone.

"She came by my house today. Yesterday, Eva and she made brownies but I took Eva away before they were ready. Today , at seven sharp, I heard a knock and opening the door I came face to face with her. She brought a container full of brownies for Eva and asked me to let her visit today. I refused , telling her that Eva is grounded for the week. That sentence ticked something inside of Ruby. Her smile vanished and she huffed while her gaze turned serious. She said it is unfair to keep Eva grounded for that long because it was actually not her fault but mine and Amelia's. She said that it is wrong for me to sleep with the nannies and that Eva was bullied by  them. Amelia apparently told Eva that she is annoying and she is only there for the money and me.  Seeing a total stranger lecturing me about my life and daughter , I flipped and my anger rose. I kind of asked who does she even think she is and why is she even here?! I told her to respect her limits because at the end of the day she is no one to Eva not her mother or even her nanny." Sin completed and the tears that gathered in Ruby's eyes played in his memory. Was he that harsh? that sinful?

"Poor girl...She was only looking for Eva's best." Brad blamed finishing his cigar.

"She has no right to. She kind of said she is no one's mother and that she didn't try to be and walked away, after pushing the container of brownies in my hands." Sin ended his side of the story standing up to go to the rest of their lunch break and have something to eat. 

He works in a law firm along with Brad. Both are very successful banking and financial lawyers. They are known nation wide and loved every bit of fame, glory , money and respect their positions offered.

Before even reaching his office door, Sin's phone dinged announcing a coming message. He was surprised at who it could be from knowing that all people knew that he hated to be bothered on his breaks. The screen read an unknown number but opening the text he couldn't but grumble and curse.

"Dammit Eva!" He angrily spoke.

"What did the princess do this time?" Brad checked 

"She went back to Ruby's. She says that my cousin had an emergency and couldn't stay so Eva promised her that it is okay to stay with our neighbor. My stupid cousin was convinced and now I have to pick her up later on and face Ruby again." Sin grumbled in frustration. Is this Eva's payback for all the times he slept with her nannies?

" I cannot wait to meet this Ruby." Brad noted making Sin grumble louder.

I might be aiming high but let's try 20 comments to get a new chapter ?