ch. 12 / anne

a/n there will be lots of pictures in this chapter because I love that feature. and this one is hella long bc im trying to get more info in flashback chapters to get to present time. ok here we go

January 28, 2016.

Madi's POV

We walked up the short steps to his old home's front door. Harry took a couple deep breaths but I really didn't notice the anxiety he was feeling.

"Oh, by the way, this just came in my head, Ellen wants you to come on the show so if you want-"

"Can you please not right now," Harry snapped at me. My eyes widened and I looked up at him.

This man was having a full blown panic attack. His face was red, almost purple, his eyes watering and he was now having a hard time breathing.

"Um, what's going on?" I asked in a panic, grabbing Harry and helping him sit down on the steps to his front door.

"I-I don't know," he put his head in his hands and started rocking back and forth.

"Harry," I rested my hand on his back, his shirt was starting to moisten from his sweat," talk to me." I said in a calm voice. Whenever I would have panic attacks when I was younger my mom would always be gentle with her touch and speak in a soft voice so I did the same, hoping it would help because it always helped me.

Harry took a couple more deep breaths but he couldn't calm down.

"Okay okay, look at me," I grabbed his chin. "I'll breathe with you. Ready?" He nodded in response. "In through your nose, out through your mouth," we did this a couple times before he finally seemed to come down.

On his last breath he rested his forehead against mine for a couple seconds then pulled away.

"What just happened?" My concern still in my voice while I continued to rub his back, trying to make eye contact with him. Harry's gaze remained down on the ground.

"It's just been a while since I've been here. And the last time I was here I just was at a very different place in my life with the band, you know? And then you started talking about work stuff so I think I just got hit with a ton of emotions at once and spiraled. I'm sorry," he responded very slowly.

"Never apologize for that. It's okay to feel that way. I'm always here for you. Sorry for bringing up the Ellen stuff..." I trailed off, feeling like a complete jerk for not considering his feelings when I mentioned it.

"No don't apologize. You're just doing your job," Harry flashed me a weak smile, his eyes still slightly puffy. We sat in the quiet, looking out at the foggy sky and the still street. Then Harry said something.

"You know what...you're fired."

"W-what?" I panicked. My heart dropped.

"Yeah you're fired," he smiled at me.

'Why is he smiling at me? What a psychopath?'

I thought to myself, completely confused by what's going on I was overwhelmed with emotions. I was feeling sad and angry and confused and other things I can't even describe.

"You're here as my friend. When we go back we can talk work stuff but just be here with me right now. Be present," he nudged me playfully.

"You know you just gave me a heart attack, right?" I felt the color regain in my cheeks from the relieving feeling of his statement.

"I know. But that's our thing," he stood up and held a hand out for me," come on."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed his hand, standing up and wiping the gravel off my butt.