39| For the Sake of Matteo

"NIC," I breathed out, tears threatening my eyes

"NIC," I breathed out, tears threatening my eyes. "I need Nic." I was talking to no one but myself because there was no one else in the small one-stall bathroom at Orbis. No one but me and a half-conscious Matteo.

Finding Matteo hadn't been as hard as I thought. I mean, I'd checked several spots that were typical for Matteo to hang out at, but Orbis was my third option. And when I arrived, his car was parked out front, so I knew he was inside.

It was a matter of where inside that I had to find out.

The club was packed because even though it was a Tuesday, it was Fall break for any college students, which meant that crowds flocked to Orbis for a good time. I was let in immediately by the bouncers I knew, asking them if they'd seen Matteo since they knew him just as well. They told me yes, he was inside somewhere, but they had no idea where. So I went in and immediately searched.

I rushed through the entire club while my heart thumped crazily in my chest. Every so often, I would check my phone to see an update from Nic: 30 minutes away. 20. Any sign of Matteo? Be there in 15. Where are you? Let me know so I can meet you there. He'll be okay.

He'll be okay.

I pushed my way through the crowds, my eyes scanning all over the club for Matteo. I wanted to give up when I didn't find him anywhere out in the open, but on a last second decision, I headed towards the bathrooms. There were only single-stall bathrooms in the club that locked and lit up red or green depending on availability. When I got to the hall of bathrooms, all were lit up green besides one.

I immediately started to pound on the door and call Matteo's name, but nothing happened, no answer came. I sprinted to the front to grab the bouncer I knew and he ran back to the bathrooms with me and helped open it up.

And that was when I found Matteo on the floor of the bathroom. He was choking and foaming at the mouth. My heart stopped completely and every booming sound of music and people chattering went away until the world was silent around me. I collapsed onto the ground and did all I knew how to, turning Matteo on his side so he stopped choking, and I shoved my fingers into his mouth to try and get him to throw up. The bouncer called for an ambulance.

"Nic," I breathed out as I held Matteo's head in my arms while he stayed mostly unconscious. He was breathing, no longer choking or foaming at his mouth from an apparent drug overdose. He was okay. "I need Nic."

He had to be okay.

The bouncer helped me carry Matteo through the club and put to the ambulance when they arrived. Immediately, they took Matteo to the hospital and I followed behind in my car, informing Nic where I was headed.

When I got to the hospital, Matteo had already been emitted into a room, which they led me to. Inside the room was Nic who sat off in the corner of the room and looked up at me, springing to his feet when I walked in. Nic pointed to the hallway and so I backed right back out, sneaking one glance at Matteo from where he lay. Nic and I went out into the hall and he closed the door mostly but left a sliver open.