Chapter Seventeen

I was still unpacking my small bag when Marinette and Janet appeared in my doorway.

"Janet!" I put down my scarf and walked over to her. I turned my attention to Marinette, "Thank you. I'll leave you and Olivia to your work while I speak to Janet in the office."

They both curtseyed, and I dragged Janet out of the room. How quickly I have adapted to my new royal role.

"What is wrong with you?" Janet snatched her arm back once we were settled in the office and the door had closed behind us.

I ignored her question to marvel at my surroundings. "It actually is really cool," I said, spinning an old globe.

Janet furrowed her brow before raising an eyebrow and staring at me.

"Oh, sorry." I sat down on the chaise and patted the seat beside me. She made her way over and perched on the edge.

"How much does the king actually know about this arrangement?" I asked her.

She grimaced. "Um, how much do you think he knows?"

"Well, he'll know a lot more soon if you don't fess up!" I was almost shouting, so I took a deep breath. The last thing I need is my maids tattling on me.

She pulled her hair up into a ponytail and secured it with the tie around her wrist. "I was going to tell you, I promise. It's just you seemed so nervous and I didn't want to make it worse."

"And you didn't think this was information I should have?" I wanted to shake her. "I could have easily told him the truth so many times! You almost got all of us into so much trouble."

I couldn't believe she hadn't told me.

"Would you have agreed if it meant deceiving the king and queen of a small nation?"

I rolled my eyes. "Well, of course not!"

"See?"

"See what? Don't you think that was my choice to make?" I could feel the heat rise into my face, so I stopped talking and took a few breaths.

"Yeah, maybe," she admitted. "But I needed you to accept and Clarence really needs a decent woman for the job and I just couldn't find anyone else."

Not a very good reason, Bestie.

I wanted to yell and scream, but I couldn't give us away. I needed the job, and the last thing I wanted was to get fired for lying. On the first day.

"What are you going to do?" Janet asked, fiddling with the bottom of her shirt and looking at the floor.

"I'm going to go out there and get dressed for dinner," I said as calmly as I could. "And I'm not going to give us away to the king and queen because I'm not sure what I'm going to do with you and Clarence yet." I shook my head and threw my hands up, unable to really express the complex flurry of emotions swirling around inside me.

"I'm sorry," Janet whispered. "I know this isn't what you imagined, and-"

"And it's just gotten ten times more stressful when it didn't have to be." I glared at her. "Does he think we're engaged, too, or does he at least believe this thing is just dating?"

She hesitated, so I pressed her.

"I only told him you were dating." She held her hands up in defence. "But I think he thinks it's more serious than it is."

"Ugh, Janet! How could you let him think that?"

"I didn't mean to!"

"I just wish you'd told me before I made a fool out of myself," I whispered.

"You didn't make a fool out of yourself," she said. "Clarence told me you did an outstanding job."

I didn't have the heart to ask her how much Clarence had known about this ploy of hers. I don't know if he knows what she told me, but he must have had some idea.

"Well, I would have made a fool out of myself tomorrow if I hadn't figured it out. Were you planning to tell me tonight?"

When she said nothing, I stood up. "I think it's best if I just go get dressed. I'm sure my lady's maids can handle dressing me for dinner."

"Okay." She stood up and followed me towards the door and walked out into the hallway before turning to face me. "I'm sorry," she said. "I really didn't mean to keep you out of the loop this long. I just... hope we can still be friends."

"I'll see you at supper?" I asked.

She furrowed her brow and shook her head. "No, you won't. Formal dinner is for the King and his immediate family. I'll eat with the staff."

"Oh." My face fell a bit. I get the feeling I'm going to be spending less time with Janet than I thought. "Will I see you tomorrow?"

She smiled. "Yes, we're going to work out your schedule. You, me, Clarence, and your personal assistant. She isn't here today, but she's been working with me on the schedule for weeks."

"I didn't exist weeks ago," I pointed out.

"Yes, but the position existed weeks ago."

I was about to roll my eyes at her when she suddenly curtseyed. "Good bye, Miss Levin." I opened my mouth to tell her she didn't need to be so formal when a group of palace guards came into view. This is going to be harder than I thought.

"Of course, Janet." I peered around the corner to make sure they were gone. "I'll send you a text message after dinner."

I hadn't quite forgiven her, but I needed this job. Badly. And I had to admit her lying to me was probably the only reason I had it. So I was mad at her, but I was also thankful. It was confusing.

I closed the door after Janet walked away and then turned to face the room. I hadn't noticed before, but the room had a gigantic window at the other end. When I walked towards it, it became clear it was not a window, but a set of doors that opened onto the balcony overlooking the vast grounds and the mountain.

"Miss?" one of my lady's maids called out from the bedroom.

I turned around to see Marinette standing in the doorway. "It's nearly five o'clock, so we really must get you ready for dinner. His Royal Highness will be here to pick you up soon, and we don't want to be caught ill prepared for our first dinner, do we?"

I nodded and walked into my bedroom after her. I would let myself be subject to their routine for today and then see how it needs to be adjusted in the future. For now, I would take all the help I could get.