Chapter 20 - Don't pick fights

A call came in a few moments later and you lay back in the bus grinning from ear to ear as Tenma's voice came cheerfully though the phone, "You'll never guess where I am for an overnight visit to a buddy of mine!"

"Where Tenma-kun?" You giggled, kicking your feet up into the air while you twirled one of the strings coming out of your jumper.

"Tokyo! You're on your way right, for the Nekoma Volleyball camp?"

"Are you keeping tabs on me?"

You heard his laugh through the phone, and pulled it away a bit because it was louder than you'd expected and your ears were quite sore from a long night trying to void of Tanaka's snoring. "I might've asked Ukai's grandson, he's your new couch right? Keishin Ukai?"

"Very interesting, Tenma I would really love to talk but I'm expected to at least get 2 hours of sleep before we get there, its 2am and we're getting there at 6. Then I have a full day of managing this team with Kiyoko-senpai." Your eyelids felt heavier just by mentioning sleep, and you yawned.

"I'm so proud of you (Y/n)! I cant wait to see you back on the court for real. Your knee's expected to be healed by July right? Just in time for the preliminaries for the Volleyball Championship—" Tenma stopped himself short, realising he'd just started going off again, he'd had a few shots with his friends and you'd been the only one he wanted to call.

"You sound like Coach" You lay on your side, hiding your arm underneath your head and stretching your back in the uncomfortable bus seat.

"If he were still here he'd say he was proud of you too" Tenma tapped the phone twice with crossed knuckles, a symbol for teamwork the coach had taught you both.

Your nose dripped from the cold air coming down from the air-con above, "yeah I know, but I'm gonna hang up now Tenma-kun, I am so tired".

"Ok, get some rest!"

"(Y/n)-san, can you put the blankets over there?" Kiyoko had in her hands full with both of your duffel bags as you were moving around the Karasuno dorm furniture in order to vacuum. When you got in the night before, you'd both been exhausted and had just collapsed onto your floor mats, it was only when the morning light broken through you realised this dorm hadn't been dusted since it was used in the last training camp.
The boys were all down the hall getting their showers done and getting changed for breakfast. You just had a few things to do before you could take a shower yourself, this included heading out onto the dorm's second story balcony, the boy's dorm was below on the first floor, and helping Kiyoko hang out the sheets and whack them with your flat palms.

The noise of you shaking the last sheet drew over a pair that'd just come around the corner of one of the other team's training dorms.

"Ah! (Y/n)-san! What a coincidence to find Karasuno's team exactly where coach said they'd all be" Kuroo chuckled, his hands on his hips as hot steam flared out his nose in the cool Tokyo air.

"Good morning Kuroo-kun, Kenma-kun" You smiled down at them, crossing your arms and leaning on the balcony's metal frame with the sheet your skin's only shield against the chilled steel.

Kuroo grinned from ear to ear, but glanced perpetually when he didn't hear any noise from the dyed head of hair tangling his fingers together next to him. Kenma intertwined his hands and blew on them gently, avoiding eye contact from the girl looking over her balcony at them.

"Game's start at 9 on the dot, coach can get very antsy about latecomers" Kuroo tapped the side of his nose.

You have him a two-fingered salute with a cheeky smile, "I'll be sure to let them know". Kiyoko tucked a loose strand of dark hair behind her ear and handed you your mug of hot chocolate, "thankyou" you sipped it, careful it wasn't too hot.