t h i r t y - s i x

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

t h i r t y - s i x

Uriah slumps against Jayden's form, his features dark and confused, small realisation coming across him. He found his other half during war. During a time where they were both had loyalties that opposed each other. His throat was thick, he couldn't betray Micajah for her – his loyalty was too great. But he couldn't betray his half – he needed her.

The front of the courtyard had emptied, all of Alpha Tyler's pack members leaving the monarch's face alone in the courtyard. They didn't have the greatest hospitality.

"I wouldn't blame you if you chose her. I wouldn't blame you at all," Micajah breaks the silence first, the tone of his voice warm. Uriah looks up with a sigh, but Micajah intercepts first.

"There's no telling how long this war will be Uriah. You need to be with her. I can't keep you away from her. Be with her. It's fine," his tone is insistent. Uriah shakes his head.

"My loyalty is with you, as the kingdom. I've been your best friend for two decades Micajah. I'm the royal beta for a reason. I can't betray you guys," he says, folding his arms, all traces of being jokey gone.

"That's not what he's saying Uriah," Adah says gently.

"If these were normal circumstances, we'd welcome her with open arms. She'd be like a sister, and she'd live with us. There's no question about it. But these aren't normal circumstances. We are at war, and she's a part of the opposition. Her brother would never allow it. So, if you choose to stay with her. We understand. It's okay," Adah explains herself a little better.

"We all just want you to be happy Uriah. You deserve it. No matter the cost,"

Adah finishes, voice earnest, and his eyes well, feeling overwhelmed with the amount of love and confusion he has going on in his head. Both the King and Queen cared about Uriah as a friend, not just as a beta.

Uriah shakes his head again.

"No," it's a mumble, he's clearly torn.

"I'm not switching sides," he sighs, but his tone is filled with determination. Micajah is about to argue with him, but Jayden gets there first.

"We don't know what Lena's thinking. Or where her head is at. What the situation is. Come on, we all saw how Alpha Tyler acted with his father. Something's not right. Let's not jump to conclusions at the moment," Jayden murmurs, always the voice of reason. He takes another deep breath.

"Uriah, you do what makes you happy. But I know you don't want to choose. We'll assess the situation, and then we'll make decisions. Okay?" and Uriah nods, running a hand over his face.

"I'm gonna sneak her out. I have to see her. Talk to her," he takes another deep breath.

"That's a good idea. Be careful though. Don't let Tyler catch you. We're on peaceful terms," Adah says, the wolf in her worried. She presses a platonic kiss to his cheek, the Luna letting her beta know that everything would be alright.

The door behind them suddenly opens again, and out stands Alpha Tyler's beta, head meek. He introduces himself, before asking for them to come in, apologising for the lack of hospitality and the fact that Alpha Tyler had stormed off away with Lena. He gives them a brief tour of packhouse, and then introduces them to their rooms.