Early bird

( can we just appreciate how handsome xie binbin aka mu siyang is 😍 )

The sun was shining high up in the sky and the birds were singing. Aifang skipped lightly in glee all the way to the court. Her temperament was unusually happy. The encounter with liqin yesterday eased her mind. She felt as if she would lose her mind any moment, if she kept it all to herself. But after talking to her cousin, she realized she wasn't alone after all. There was someone within arm's reach who would listen to her concerns, even if that person was short-tempered. She has found herself a confidante.

She arrived inhumanly early, and hadn't reckoned on seeing anyone there. Therefore she was astounded to discern the captain's solitary form on the bench, and hunched over a book.
Contemplating whether to approach, or leave him be. Her legs involuntarily carried her over to where he was seated. When she realized it, it was too late to turn back, he had already caught sight of her.
- "good morning captain" she waved shyly at him.
And it was a good morning indeed for aifang. The early bird catches the worm, and the early aifang gets to spend time alone with siyang. How befitting!!! She had no objection whatsoever to the plans of fate.
He glanced up from his book and pushed his glasses up. - "You're early today, no one else is here yet" he closed his book with a thud, and scooted over to make room for her.
- "luckily for me, I don't have to run 10 laps today" this remark caused the barest hint of a smile to appear on his face. Aifang's heart skipped a beat. Gingerly taking a seat next to him, The scent of his cologne wafted through the air. He smelled like citrus, so fresh and tangy. she hoped he wouldn't hear her racing heartbeat. But thankfully, no awkward silence ensued, because he pointed out - "I heard you've been training daily after school"
- "yes, that's true" was her affirmation.
- "is it because the qualifying is approaching??" He asked in a more serious tone.
She nodded - "but I'm not confident that I'll make it to the team" she felt that she could share her concerns with him.
- "and why not?" Her answer had left him slightly bemused.
He has seen how talented she is, so the fact that she was belittling herself like that puzzled him.
She answered in self-deprecation - "I just know I'm not as good enough as you main players" she folded her hands in her lap, and lowered her gaze.
Siyang could sense the issue, it was a matter of low self-esteem.
In an attempt to dispel her doubts he started - "you see, you don't have to worry about not being good enough, none of us here is a pro player we're just passionate about tennis, and our passion is our drive" she hung on to every word he said. He continued - "being on this team is an opportunity to improve oneself, we don't always win but you know what matters the most?"
- "what?" She replied, her eyes flickering back to his face.
- "knowing that we have done our best, even the most professional players are fallible and prone to making mistakes, but the opportunity lies in the fact that we can learn from our mistakes" aifang wished she could have a fraction of his self-assurance.
- "easy for you to say, you're the captain, captains are always the crème de la crème of the teams" she teased, grinning widely.
And for the second time this morning she caught the glimmer of a smile in his eyes. She was on cloud nine for having made him smile, not once but twice. Within a split second, his face had assumed the sobering expression she was most accustomed to. He began - "as the captain, I have one sole goal year, to lead the team to the national tournament" there was a spark of determination in his eyes when she looked straight into them, and for a mere moment their eyes met. - "are you still not confident that you can make it? Don't you want to have this experience with us?"
She didn't know what to say, so she remained silent.
- "I'm sure you didn't join the tennis club just to pick up balls, seeing as how you've been training relentlessly day-to-day" he observed.
His phone buzzed at that moment, he took one glance at it then said - "I have to go, but take what I said into consideration"
- "I will" she watched his retreating figure disappear from view, leaving her alone with jumbled thoughts.
- "he has a point"

========================================

Aifang came to a halt in the school garden, and crouched before a flower bed containing China roses. She heaved a sigh admiring the variety of hues. - "you're a sight for sore eyes, but I won't pluck you, I'm satisfied just by admiring you from a far" she spoke to the flowers as if they would understand her. She got closer and sniffed on a pink rose - "you smell heavenly, just like him.
Liqin's voice interrupted her little moment - "so now you're talking to flowers, you've officially gone mad"
- "hey, don't judge, I have a lot on my mind" a frown creased aifang's eyebrows.
She explained - "you see, the thing is, I think I have fallen in love"
- "WHAT?? WHO IS IT??!! Liqin was practically shouting.
- "mu.. si..yang" aifang revealed.
- "THE CAPTAIN!!!"
Aifang covered her ears - "please stop yelling, gee"
- "I've never felt this way before, I feel all warm and fuzzy when I'm around him, my eyes always search for him even when he's not around"
- "wow, you should become a poet" liqin poked fun at aifang.
Aifang buried her face in her hands - "gosh I feel so terrible for lying to him"
Liqin smacked aifang on the shoulder - "no one forced you into it, you brought this upon yourself"
Aifang rubbed her shoulder - "ouch, why are you always hitting me?"
- "because you're a moron"
- "she-devil" aifang mumbled under her breath, but unfortunately liqin heard her.
- "who are you calling a she-devil you SHE-IMPOSTOR!!! She bellowed in rage.
Thus, a tom and Jerry chase began. And to be expected, aifang was way ahead of liqin.
An out of breath liqin pleaded - "slow down"
- "like this?" Aifang ran in slow motion mockingly. Just when liqin caught up to her, she picked up speed again. - "you can't catch me" she stuck her tongue out at liqin. However, aifang made the mistake of not looking ahead while running. - "watch out" liqin warned, as of late. Aifang collided hard into a boy, sending him sprawling into a nearby flower bed, while losing her footing and stumbling to the ground herself.
- "holy shit" liqin broke into a fit of giggles.
Aifang scrambled up, and approached the fallen boy, who appeared to be none other than Zhou Zhi. She offered a hand and helped him stand up.
- "Zhou Zhi, I'm sorry I didn't see you" she dusted his soiled uniform.
- "yeah, no kidding" he chuckled and held both hands up to stop her from touching him - "it's fine, really"
- "no it's not, your uniform is all stained and dirty, if you give it to me I'll wash it for you" she offered as an apology.
He was smirking the entire time - "it's not necessary" he turned to leave.
- "once again, I'm really sorry" she cried out to him.

========================================

Hope you liked it ❤️ don't forget to vote if you did ☺️