five.

F I V E

"sleepless nights"

Jake's POV

HIS EYES STARTED TO CLOSE. Jake yawned, shaking his head so the tiredness would go away, but it was very hard. He rubbed his face, staring at the files in front of him. The only reason he had taken the files home was to solve the case faster, so Daniel would go. Okay, maybe jealousy was driving Jake to an unhealthier road with no sleep, but he didn't care. 

Ignoring the sounds of New York City, he tried to focus on the case, but when reading the files he had to reread the paragraphs about five times each, as he was not understanding them. He was so tired that his head was no longer working properly.

Jake took a sip from his cup of coffee and sighed. 

He reviewed the case. A lawyer had been killed. Jake checked the attorney's history, his clients. Perhaps he had failed someone in court. But there were too many and if he did that now he would only get two hours of rest. He swallowed hard. He should fix things with Sarah, but was it worth it? Yes it was. He just couldn't do it alone.

He pulled out his cell phone and dialed Charles, hoping he was still awake. No, please, Jake, it's already three in the morning, why would you be awake? But he smiled when he heard the voice of his best friend on the other end of the phone.

"Jake it's very late, what are you doing awake?" a tired Charles said.

"Sorry, bud, I need help with a case and—"

"Can't I help you tomorrow?"

"No, please, I need your help right now!"

Charles sighed. "Fine. What d'you need?"

"The case is the one I'm working with Sarah and detective James. I... uh, I took the files and told them I could solve it alone, practically, but I realized I couldn't."

"Get to the point please, Jakey."

"Right, sorry. So the case is of a lawyer that was murdered, Michael Andersen. I think that maybe the murderer could be some client to which he failed or something, I just need to see which of them were in jail and we could interview them."

"So you want me to help you check which ones were in jail?"

"Please."

"Okay. Send me pictures of the files and I'll text you later."

"Thanks Charles, you're the best best friend bud, I owe you so much—"

"Just promise me you will rest after this," Charles cut. "Good night, Jake."

Jake smirked, he suddenly felt a little less tired. But it was only the happiness of knowing that he would soon solve the case, he was just as exhausted. He realized because soon his head gave up and he ended up snoring on his kitchen table, fast asleep.

Sarah's POV

She was thinking about Lewis. She didn't like to, but it was not something she could avoid. Sarah realized that she actually had a thousand of good memories with him, like the time that they had gone together to the museum. She hadn't enjoyed it that much, but she could still remember the way he made her feel. Did she miss it? No. She missed someone else. Someone that was right in front of her but at the same time faraway.

The clear blue sky was reflected in the glass of her car on the way to the precinct. She got out of her vehicle and entered the building, tired even if she had gone to bed an hour earlier than normal. Sarah stepped out of the elevator and noticed that Jake was not there yet, but she knew that was not strange, as he was almost always late for work. Before sitting at her desk, she saw that Daniel was leaning against the wall in the meeting room. Sarah left her bag and entered the room.