Want a Gem, Gain a Friend

Shinichi stared at the magician in front of him, dumbfounded, thoughts coming to a screeching halt.
"What?"
"This gem is dangerous. I spent my life to seal it away. You don't know for sure if it will take your body and I am sincerely apologetic if it will. But this needs to end."

The sleuth pinched the bridge of his nose, thoroughly done with this discussion.
"I know what you are talking about, I understand. But this gem gives me advantages to no end. I can work 24/7 on a case. Exhaustion doesn't wear me down from any project. Forgetting to feed myself isn't a problem either, I don't need food nor water. I am immortal, I can spend centuries learning everything I can get my hands on."
He paused, looking up into Kaito's face to search for any kind of sympathy, yet failed to recognize any.
"KID, I am able to prevent murders if I can be attentive at every minute of the day. The possibilities are endless. Weapons don't threaten me anymore, a bullet to my head isn't going to leave anything but a scratch after Pandora's work. I could solve so many risky cases with this; instead of sending a special squad team I would just deploy myself and still make it out alive. I-I..."

The threat of the Black Organization rushed through his brain and Shinichi made an involuntary gasp.
"I-I could destroy the Black Organization all by myself. What are they gonna do? Shoot me? Don't make me laugh. I could make millions of people feel safe-"
"Kudo Shinichi."
Said one shut his mouth with an audible click, confused eyes staring at KID. He seemed... upset. Downright angry.
"I cannot believe you. Not even you could do anything against a surprise attack from behind, could you? No matter Pandora or not. At last, the only thing you will do is serving Pandora on a silver plate to the Black Organization if you rush in like this."

Kaito gave him a second to progress his words, yet as Shinichi wanted to open his mouth he cut him off again. Now was his turn.
"And despite that, you forgot a small yet important detail. Edogawa Conan is dead. Kudo Shinichi is dead. You do not exist anymore, Meitantei."
Shinichi froze, eyes wide. He had completely forgotten that.

That... that's true... I don't exist anymore...

Shinichi narrowed his eyebrows at Kaito, realizing what this meant. This was actually to his benefit; amusement began to glim inside his sapphire eyes.
"...if you leave me here without Pandora, as a mortal, you will sign my death certificate. I can't stay where people recognize me, and without a passport I can't leave either. I have nothing, not even a longtime place to stay. I can't even sleep in my own house."
Kaito narrowed his eyebrows, trying to figure out what Shinichi was hinting at. As it hit him, his eyes grew wide and he shook his head no almost immediately, backing a step away.
"No way. No chance, Meitantei. I want to leave this all behind. I can't."
"You can, KID, and you will if you ever want to see my half."
The corner of his lips twitched; Shinichi was trying so bad to hold back his grin. He had KID in his hand and oh god, it felt so good.

After a long glaring contest, Kaito's shoulders slumped down and he breathed out a deep and painful sigh.
"Fine. Fine. You can come with me. But if you dare to meddle with my life, I will throw you out immediately."
"Wise choice. Don't worry about that, I'm not interested in ruining your life."
Shinichi knew KID's moral code forbade him to just drop him off anywhere else and vanish on him again. Finally. Finally he had KID all to himself, finally he could watch his life with his own eyes, not through KID's. Accompanying the magician would be a great experience for him, especially since both of them were immortal. A feeling of joy overcame Shinichi, he could barely contain his grin.

"My flight goes this evening, 10pm. I will have a boarding pass ready for you."
Kaito turned on his heel and left the house; as soon as the doors closed behind him he let out an exasperated sigh. Kudo Shinichi, accompanying him? An imaginary red flag was waving frantically in front of his inner eye. Not only was he going to know his civilian identity, he had a first class ticket to watch over him like a hawk.
He slowly took the steps down towards the porch, mind already going off to find a way to smuggle Shinichi with him.

***

Shinichi felt overjoyed by the time the door closed behind KID. Lips curling up into a wide grin, he plopped down onto the couch and made a small list of things he wanted to take along with him. Definitely one or two books.
Around lunchtime, his sensitive ears picked up a door opening.

Haibara must be awake again.

Only a few minutes later, a still tired professor shambled downstairs, yawning as soon as she reached her best friend.
"Kudo...? You look so happy."
Shinichi rolled his eyes mildly amused, then nodded onto his list.
"KID was here. We made a deal. I will give him Pandora if he takes me with him. Much to my surprise, and after lots of complaining, KID said yes. I'll be leaving this evening..."
Haibara stared at her best friend with sleep deprived eyes, trying to understand what he was telling her.

Shinichi? Leaving? Leaving... me?

Her face twisted into a somewhat half smile. It wasn't going to be the same without the sleuth. She had just gotten him back and now he was leaving for real? Well, at least he wasn't dead.
"Good luck... You will need it. Are you really sure about this?"
Shinichi paused and looked up from his list, pen clenching inside his hand. Was he sure?
"Absolutely. I... I can't explain it, but he has become someone I truly respect. Watching his life was the only distraction I had inside the coffin. He... he made such a lonely impression."
The sleuth let out a dry laugh, sapphire eyes going back towards his paper.
"I always imagined KID's persona to be surrounded by lots of people. But he wasn't. KID rarely ever spoke, he never met up with anybody- I have the feeling KID doesn't even remember how it is to have someone close, around him. He is so unlike the person he used to be... it's almost like all his life has been drained from him."

Haibara stared at her friend in utter disbelief; suspicion rose inside her. Yet she allowed Shinichi to continue.
"Things will never be the way they used to be, I know that. But I want to help him... It physically hurts to see him like this. KID used to shine whereever he went. I don't ever want to see him cry again... I will take care of him and protect him as well."
The professor raised an eyebrow, then suddenly smiled and turned away to hide her expression."
"You do you. Just don't get into trouble."

While Shinichi eyed her confusedly, Haibara chuckled. To her, Shinichi sounded just like he used to when it came to Ran.