Chapter Twenty-Three

This chapter is dedicated to bookADDICT6 for yet another amazingly beautiful cover

Quick favor, please check out @superawesomeness and their story 'He's Back, He's Hotter & He Wants Me.'

Chapter Twenty Three

Those perfectly mesmerising, electric blue eyes focused on me with an intensity that sent a thrill down my spine and caused my heart to race in my chest.

Breathing deeply I was caught up in an intoxicating scent that wrapped itself around me and I instantly knew it was from Mason. It wasn't his usual woodsy, masculine scent, this was more... sweet. Like sweet cinnamon.

Running my tongue across my upper lip, I fought the moan of pleasure that was urging its way out of my throat. The mouth watering scent laced around my tongue and settled on my lips. With the deathly silence that captured the room, I caught the slight spike in Mason's heart beat. That alone caused my stomach to tighten. My wolf delighted in the new sensations that swept over her.

As if snapping out of a trance, Mason looked away from me, breaking our eye contact and turned his intense, hooded gaze into a glare when his eyes landed on Jude.

"Why her?" His words were low, but his tone wasn't one to be taken lightly. In fact, had I been on the receiving end of his glare and words I was pretty sure I would have sunk to my knees and cowered in a corner.

Jude's jaw clenched. "I needed help." I didn't need to be a genius to figure out they were talking about me.

They both kept silent, but the air was thick with tension and I couldn't help but wonder what wasn't being said between them. And even though I knew it was stupid to break the silence, I couldn't stop my mouth running away from me.

"Haven't you guys got a doctor?" It wasn't the best thing to say, but it was the first thing that came to mind. My voice was so quiet I wasn't sure they would hear it, but after a second both pairs of eyes turned towards me. They did have a doctor, right? I mean, every pack had a doctor, even the small ones like us.

Jude wasn't giving anything away, so I voiced my question again only this time I directed it solely at Mason. "Yeah," He answered, not taking his piercing glare off Jude. "Pretty dumb move not to call her." He shook his head slightly as if he was disappointed, but there was something else there, something behind the obvious fake disappointment. A glint was in his eye, almost like amusement. Why was he being like this?

I kept my distance from the guys. Mason didn't have much self control when it came to his anger and I was pretty sure, if the heaviness of his breathing and his clenched fists was anything to go by, Jude wouldn't hold back either. My eyes scanned the dimply lit room. It was huge, filled with expensive decor and very formal, it seemed fitting for one of the country's largest packs.

My eyes travelled over everything, but her. The helpless woman who lay on the couch with her dark, sand blond hair sprawled out over the pillow. A quick glance and she would look like she was having an innocent sleep, but it wasn't until the scent of dried blood hit you and the sight of the dark red pool beneath her, that you would know something else was going on.

What should I do? I had I no idea. Picking up every sound in the room was easy thanks to the silence that engulfed us. As well as the spiked heart rate from Mason and the heavy drum coming from Jude's chest, I picked up on a small, gentler noise.

It was her heartbeat.

"What happened?" I asked the question before I could think about it. No one answered. In fact, there wasn't a single movement in the room except for the barely there rise and fall of Jude's mom's chest. "Jude, what's wrong with her?" My eyes left Jude and fell on his mom. Even battered and bloodied, you could see how beautiful she was.