Chapter Eight

I walked downstairs and my new family was already setting everything up. Eric looked up and his jaw dropped. He quickly recovered and smiled at me. I smiled back and walked over to him.

"Hey, is there anything left to help with?" I asked and Eric shook his head.

"No we already have everything set. All we need to do now is wait." Eric stated and we sat in the living room. One by one people started to fill in and they put presents on a table. I was really confused and looked over to Eric. "My family gives gifts whenever someone new comes into the family." He explained and I nodded in understanding. I sat there and became uncomfortable, there were too many people in the room. I started to take deep breaths. "Kayla, you okay?"

"Too.....Many......People." I said in between breaths. Realization crossed his face and he nodded.

"Come on follow me." Eric said and grabbed my hand. A blush crept up onto my cheeks and he pulled me out onto the back patio. I smiled and looked away to hide my blush.

"Thanks I needed the fresh air." I stated and sat on the stairs. I took a deep breath and listened closely. I heard a chorus of crickets, the croaking of frogs, and the sound of the wind going through the trees. I could feel someone's eyes on me. I turned to see Eric staring at me. "What?"

"Nothing, just admiring." He explained.

"Admiring what?" I asked.

"You." He said and I blushed again. I smiled and stood up. I dusted my jeans off and lost my balance. Eric caught me and I looked down embarrassed. I laughed and so did Eric. We looked at each other and started to lean in. Then Amanda burst through the back door and we jumped apart. Amanda raised her eyebrow and I shook my head.

"Hey Kayla I have someone I want you to meet." She said and grabbed my hand. I looked back at Eric and he waved at me. Amanda dragged me back where all the people were and pulled me over to a girl. She had long black hair and blue eyes.

"Hi, I am Kayla." I said and stuck out my hand. The girl sneered.

"Since when did vermin become part of the family?" The girl asked Amanda. Amanda looked at her shocked.

"Natalie! Don't talk about Kayla like that!" Amanda said and looked at me. "I apologize for my friend's behavior. She is mad because she and Eric broke up." Amanda looked around. "I am going to go get something to drink."

"Look I don't know who you think you are, but you will not take Eric away from me." Natalie stated I snorted at her comment. "If you try I will kill you." I felt someone standing behind me. I turned and saw Eric. He had a hard look on his face.

"Natalie you need to leave." Eric said. Natalie laughed and kissed his cheek.

"Baby, I know you didn't mean it when you said we broke up." Natalie said and put her arms around him. He toke her arms off him and pushed her away.

"Yeah I did mean it. Now get out of my house." Eric said and she pouted.

"I will have you back even if that means killing your little pet." Natalie said. Eric growled and pointed to the door. I looked at him weird. Natalie smiled and walked out of the house.

Three hours later the last guest had left and I was so tired I could pass out at any moment. "Eric, will you help me take my stuff up to my room?" I asked. He nodded and grabbed a majority of the bags. We walked up to my room and set my bags down. "Thanks." I said and he nodded.

He smiled and rubbed his neck. "Do you maybe, I don't know, want to watch a movie in my room with me?" I nodded and he grabbed my hand. I blushed and he pulled me into his room. We picked out a movie and it came on. We laid on the bed and I put my head on a fluffy black pillow. It. smelled like strawberries and cream. I slowly fell asleep and sighed in content.