Love & Protect

*Note: As a warning, this chapter contains violence, blood and gore, and brutal killing.*

HaSeul watched the two retreat in the opposite direction, hugging the maze of walls to keep themselves hidden in the shadows. A sigh of relief was released knowing HeeJin and HyunJin were safe for the time being. She placed her palm against the wall, smearing the white walls with her crimson handprint, lifting her battered body into a crouching position. She grabbed an empty magazine and slid it across the floor away from her, directing it further from her current hiding spot. The hollow metal case rang out a satisfying clatter, disrupting the organized movements of the enemies.

"Hey! Go check that out!" One of them yelled, and they cautiously approached the source of the sound.

The senior guard steadied her breathing, calming her racing heart. It would be reckless of her to be hasty. Patience was a virtue, and she needed to wait for the right time to strike her ambush no matter how antsy her finger was on the trigger to squeeze it early. HaSeul had already accepted this to be her last stand. No matter how you spin it, twelve against one isn't a very good or ideal scenario. There was also her injured arm to factor in, which would slow her reload speed and make it that much more challenging to aim. And last she checked, these men weren't like the previous ones. They are armed with assault rifles and adorned with heavy armor and helmets over their bodies. She would bet that these men were more skilled than the men she previously encountered.

She peeked from behind the wall to check their movements. She still has time. There was one last thing she needed to do before she proceeded with her suicide mission. HaSeul plucked her phone out of her jacket pocket, her finger quickly unlocking the device. Her facial features immediately relaxed, her eyes softened at her phone's background of Jungeun and her. The sight of her girlfriend always calmed HaSeul, even if they were in the middle of a fight. She loved her so much, and she had honestly lucked out. What did she do in her life or past life to deserve the blessed soul known as Jungeun? HaSeul could only hope the next person Jungeun meets will grant her more happiness and love than she can offer.

Her eyes watered, thinking she would not be able to come back home, to go back to the warm embrace of the arms of her beloved. HaSeul had always promised she would come back safe and sound, both knowing that HaSeul couldn't control whatever outcome may happen during her duties. But tonight will be the first time she will have to break that promise.

Realizing she was running out of time, she quickly typed a short message.

I love you so much, Jungeun.

With that, she closed her eyes, clutched the phone in her hand against her chest, powering the device down. HaSeul did her best to find her peace. After a few deep breaths, her eyes narrowed, sharpening her senses. She focused on one thing. Kill as many of those bastards before she does down.