Five

"What are you going to do?" Candice asked. "I don't know. I'm unemployed. I can't afford this!" I shouted. "I'll help you. God knows I have enough money." She offered. "Thanks Candy. You're a great friend." She smiled.

Just then, the door slammed and Anna's familiar voice called out "I'm home!"

"Let's not tell her yet. Michael needs to know first. I'll tell her soon, okay?" I promised. Candice nodded curtly before walking out of the bathroom and out to meet Anna.

I took the test and threw it away, crumpling up toilet paper to put on top of it before washing my hands and face and joining the others. Candice was just leaving.

"You didn't tell me she was coming." Anna pointed out. I shrugged. "It was a last minute thing."

"Are you okay? You seem off." She observed. "I'm fine! I'm just sick." I whined. "Aw. Do you want me to make you anything?" She offered. "Soup." I mumbled. She nodded and set to work, making me chicken noodle soup.

After my soup, I returned to my room and lay on my bed, rubbing my tummy.

How was I supposed to tell Michael about this? I've only known him for little over a week! How is he going to feel? And Anna? I already know she's going to freak out.

I groaned and rolled over. This sucks.

I ignored Michael for the next two weeks. I just didn't know what to say to him. I was afraid he'd see it in my eyes.

I was at a job interview at Nando's when he found me.

"Lily! There you are! I've been calling you for weeks. Have you been ignoring me?" He asked, hurt. "No. My phone broke." I lied. "Oh. Well what's wrong then?" He asked. "I'm sick." I mumbled. "Then why are you here?" He asked, laughing. "I need a job. Remember? I got sacked." I reminded him. "Yeah I remember. Sorry about that." He said. I shrugged. "It's fine. I gotta to. I'll text you when I get my new phone." I said before brushing past him and out the door.

He grabbed my arm. "We need to talk though. About when you called me?" He reminded me. "It was nothing. Just curious." I replied. "I'm not going to let you go that easily." He said sternly. I sighed before turning to him.

"I got sick. It gave me a scare." I snapped. "And you're still sick? Did you go to the doctor?" He asked, concerned. "Again. I'm sick again." I said. "Oh. Okay then... I'm just gonna... call me if you need me okay?" He asked. I nodded once before walked away.

That was close.

I'm almost a month pregnant now and still the only people that know are Candice and I. Anna is growing suspicious because I'm still sick.

"What's wrong with you? Did you go see a doctor like I suggested?" She asked me when I got home. "Believe me, Anna. If I thought a doctor could help me, I would." I said. Her eyes widened. "Um Lily? Do you mind if I ask you something really personal?" She asked. "Why would I? Nothing's stopped you from asking before." I snapped. She frowned.

"Are you pregnant?"

I froze. "Are you?" She repeated. I slowly turned around to face her. "Anna..." I started. Her face contorted into something of anger and shock. "Don't Anna me! What's gotten into you? Do you even know who the dad is? Ellis or Michael?" She demanded. "You know I never slept with Ellis." I said harshly. "So it's Michael! Does he know?" She asked. I shook my head. "You have to tell him!" She shouted.

I snorted. "You make it sound like its so easy! Do you understand how much pressure I'm under right now? I'm carrying a baby! It's not only hard to adjust to mentally but physically as well! I'm only one month and already I have to piss every hour or so, already I'm getting bad head aches and throwing up! Candice is right! Morning sickness is a bitch." I exploded. "You told Candice before me!" She demanded, sounding and looking hurt.

My face softened. "It's not like that. She was here when I found out. She helped me." I explained. Anna's face held anger, hurt and betrayal. "You've known for that long? And you didn't tell me?" She whispered. "I'm sorry. I was scared. Scared you'd explode on me and hate me for this stupid mistake." I admitted, trying not to cry. "It's okay. I forgive you. But when are you going to tell him?" She asked. I sighed.

"How about now? Mind if I ask him over?" I asked. She smiled slightly. "Now is as good a time as any." She agreed.

I retrieved my phone and called Michael. He answered on the first ring.

"Hello?" He asked. "Hey Mikey." I replied softly. "What's up?" He asked. I glanced over at Anna who nodded her head supportively. "Actually can you come over? I have something to tell you and I think it's best to tell you in person." I explained. "Uh does it have to be now? I'm kinda on my way to a date..." he explained.

My heart dropped. He's not going to want me after this.

"It's okay. Tomorrow?" I suggested. "Can't. I have a gig." He explained. "What about the day after that?" I tried. "Nope." Tears pricked my eyes. "Look this is really important! I'm sorry for ignoring you but dammit I think I had a reason and that's what we need to discuss." I said sharply, hiding a sob. "I'm sorry. I didn't know it was so important. Swing by PJ's tomorrow at 8. We can talk after the gig." He suggested. "Thank you." I whispered.

"Yeah whatever."