Chapter 13

{Authors note: this is the new and improved edited version. If you were reading the old version, it's in my works}

-Carter-

I've come clean with two things today.

One: Kristen is an amazing kisser, and I really enjoy kissing her. That one was easy to admit.

Two, and this one might be harder to admit: I like her.

There's really no other way around it: I'm infatuated with her. I want to buy her flowers, I want to pay for her food, I want to hold her hand, I want to open the car door for her. She really is inexplicably beautiful, and I kissed her.

I literally just kissed her.

Out of the blue, and she kissed me back.

The funny thing is, well, it really isn't funny at all, if Brendan were to ever find out, he would have my ass on a stick. Literally, he would kill me.

He would also kill me if he knew I liked her. It's been since freshman year and even before that, and I've somehow kept it low key. To both of them apparently, neither of them seem to know. Well, Kristen may know now, I kissed her.

The doorbell rang, and not five seconds later I heard the front door open. Was that Brendan already? I left my room and walked downstairs, finding Brendan walking into the kitchen and opening the fridge. Such a common sight.

"I was thinking about ordering a pizza if you're hungry, is uh, K-"

"Kristen!" Brendan shouted, pulling the lemonade out of the fridge. "Did you grab my bag before leaving the house?"

So, that answered my question.

With Brendan too preoccupied with trying to find food, I quickly dashed to the front door, finding Kristen on the doorstep. I took her by surprise and wrapped her up in a hug, and she giggled, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Are you staying tonight?" I asked after pulling away.

"No, I was just going to stay out on the porch all night," She answered sarcastically, and I chuckled, resting my hands on both sides of her face. She blushed at the proximity, and I took this as my chance to rest my forehead on hers. This unspoken emotion that we both knew was present drove me to make the move, and I kissed her, and we melted into our second kiss.

She sighed lightly, kissing me back. Well, that's good news. She's not completely grossed out and still wants to kiss me.

Totally forgetting Brendan could catch us any second, I pulled away quickly, my eyes widening as I checked to see if he was in sight.

"Maybe we should go inside," She muttered awkwardly, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. I nodded, taking the bags she dropped on the ground and throwing what I knew was Brendan's bag on the couch, while I carefully set her bag down. She laughed, making herself comfy on the couch.

"So you're ordering pizza Carter?" Brendan asked, a bag a chips in his hand.

"God you're a pig, stop eating my food," I teased, and he stuck his tongue out at me. "Yes, I'm ordering pizza. What do you guys want?"

***

-Kristen-

It was extremely hard for me to not enjoy kissing Carter, why can't he suck at kissing? Maybe it would be easier for me to stay away. He's really making it hard for me to stay away.

I hated myself for shamelessly watching him as he sat on the couch with Brendan, watching a football game on tv. His smile was so alluring, and his dimples indented his cheeks as he laughed at something Brendan said. He looked away from Brendan and glanced at me and smiled, and I smiled back. He continued his conversation with Brendan and I sat down on the chair to watch the game, but I had no idea how tired I was and decided to close my eyes for a few minutes.

***

I woke up with a start, and I looked around, totally momentarily forgetting what was going on. The room was dark, and the only light was coming from the dim glow of the television. My head happened to be resting on Carter's shoulder, and I stirred, stretching.

"Finally awake I see," Carter chuckled, turning from the tv to face me.

"I did not expect to fall asleep," I muttered, glancing to where Brendan was previously sitting. "Where's Brendan?"

"He was tired and went to bed like an hour ago," Carter responded, and it was silent. And I felt awkward.

"So, we should talk," He muttered, and I sighed, sitting up in my chair. "If Brendan finds out we kissed, I'm screwed."

"You and me both dude," I mumbled, picking at the grooves of the chair. "Why did you kiss me?" I blurted, forcing myself not to glance Carter's way.

"Why did I kiss you?" He reiterated, like he heard me ask the question, but he just wanted to make sure I said it right. "Uh, well, I mean, because I uh, wanted to?" It came out as a question. I rolled my eyes.

"Was that a question or a statement?" I chose this time to look at him, and he was gazing so intensely at me.

"A statement." He looked at me, almost like he wanted to hide away, or peek at me from in between in fingers. After some silence, I literally didn't know what to say to him. "I've never really had a true relationship with a girl," He blurted, sighing and closing his eyes. "I've always hooked up or just casually dated, but I've never been serious with anyone."

And why was he telling me this?

"I've practically grown up with you and I've known you forever, and you were always the girl I imagined myself being in a serious relationship with."

So that's why he was telling me this...

"Really?" I asked, because it was Carter, and I didn't really know if I wanted to believe him, and he nodded.

"But Brendan is my best friend, and your brother, and I knew it would never really work out. So I just tried to forget about it."

I really wanted to run upstairs and hit my brother upside the head for being a cockblock in this situation.

"It won't ever work Kristen," He sighed, running a hand over his face.

"Do you want it to work?" I asked him, with a tad bit of eagerness to my voice that I'll scold myself about later.

Yes," He answered, looking into my eyes as he did so. I smiled, and I hopped off my chair and sat next to Carter on the couch.

"I always thought you hated me though," I teased, and he chuckled, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me down so I was leaning up against him.

"You always did irritate me," He responded back, and I flicked his thigh.

"What do we tell Brendan though?" I asked, my head resting on his shoulder. "We're going to have to tell him something at some point because I don't think-"

"Tell Brendan what?" A new voice asked, and my eyes widened, suddenly terrified I was going to be skinned alive by my own brother.

I gulped.

Well shit.

____________________