nevele

"Once upon a time, there was a boy who was happy..."

I snuggled up in bed, pulling my blanket up to my chin as I flashed my father a cheeky grin. The bedside lamp was open, illuminating the side of his smiling face as he sat on the chair beside me, like he always did whenever he would read me stories.

He knew how much I liked hearing them, and he did his best to manage his time. I was thankful for it. Kaitlyn was a different case, I could still remember the time when he told me how she only fell asleep at the start of the story. I had giggled that time, for it was funny how different we really were.

This was something only me and my father shared, and today was even more special because the story he would be telling wouldn't be from a book. It would be from him, his own story, and not anyone else's.

"But then something happened. Bad people came, they were ruthless and unsparing, and they took away everything the boy had until he had nothing left to live for," he continued, his voice distant as if he was caught up in a memory.

The villains of the story, I think with my heart pounding in my chest.

"Why did they do it?" I whispered.

He glanced at me, and there was a bitter smile on his face. "Because they were bad, sweetie, they don't need a reason to do things."

"That's not fair." I frowned, sitting up to lean on the headboard. This was the first time I heard something unusual, and I didn't like his answer.

He chuckled lightly, then he said, "The boy struggled. It was hard for him. He stayed away from his friends and spent most of his time alone, pushing everyone away until they lost the will to be with him. He liked being by himself. It was nice."

"And they left him, just like that?" I couldn't help but say. "Why? I thought friends stick for each other until the end. They must be bad ones."

It took him a moment to answer. "You're right, Kaylee. They were. I guess the boy didn't know how to pick his friends." Then he gave me a smile that held another meaning.

My chest suddenly felt heavy.

"But I think I know what he feels, father. I sometimes like to be alone too," I confessed shyly, fiddling with my fingers. My friend had laughed at me when I told her that, and I was expecting him to do the same.

But he didn't. Instead, he grinned and ruffled my hair. "That's great, kiddo."

I beamed, heat rushing up to my cheeks. He always knew what to say. "What happened then? Did the boy get a happy ending?"

My father nodded.

"He met a girl who was like him in a lot of ways, but what he didn't know was she would teach him how to live life to the fullest again. He liked being around her. He smiled whenever she was around, and talking to her was like his medicine. She saved him, you see? Days passed, and they found themselves spending more time together. They also fell in love, so they married and lived happily ever after."

I sniffled. "That's a beautiful ending. I'm glad he met her, she must be really great. Oh, and did they meet in the park? Or maybe a coffee shop? I've read somewhere that those are usually where you find your beloved."

My father stood up with a smile. "No. Somewhere else. A place where people don't usually find love. And it was what made their relationship special."

I stifled a yawn, resting my head on my pillow.

"Where? The parking lot? The basement? Please tell me not in the bathroom because that would be disgusting." I wrinkled my nose.

There was a laugh as he leaned on to me, placing a kiss on my forehead. I peered at him through my eyelashes and smiled. Then as if on cue, a yawn escaped my lips.