Thirty-Seven: A Rude Interruption †

Start from the beginning

I nodded, my throat dry and scratchy. "Why wouldn't it be?"

Jason sighed acutely, staring right at me. "Because it's little over a week until Christmas Eve and you couldn't seem more distracted by everything else to be interested in that. Don't you care?"

"Of course I care, Jason." I paused, sitting on my bed. "Sit down."

Jason sat on the edge, taking his shoes off and sticking his feet in front of him on the bed. I did the same, letting my legs rest on the left of him and his legs on the right side of me. He was leaning back against the chest of drawers behind him.

"I broke up with Lea for this."

I closed my eyes, thinking it was best for me not to say I listened to the majority of the breakup. "I know, word's got round quickly. I've also heard that I came into the conversation when it happened, too." Opening my eyes again, Jason was leaning his head back against the chest of drawers.

"Well, it's true."

I know it's true, I thought, I was there when my name cropped up.

"I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, you know."

"Do you still love her?" I asked, ignoring his statement.

Jason stared at me for a moment, almost glaring at me with a poker face. Finally, he said, "Not anymore I don't. I thought I did but when it came to the end of our relationship, I realised that I didn't."

"Do you still care for her?"

"Of course I do, Tiegan. She went through anorexia and she can easily go back to it. I have to watch over her, somewhat, anyway. I dread to think what she'd do if it was a horrible and nasty breakup."

In the silence that followed suit, Jason crossed his legs and shifted himself forwards slightly. He reached out and grasped my waist before hauling me onto his lap. I was taken aback by the sudden conduct, gaping at him with an open mouth, too astonished to even gasp or utter Jason. He wrapped his arms around my waist so I wrapped my legs around his.

"What are you doing?" I murmured, my voice fracturing.

He reached up with one hand and tucked the side with my fringe behind my ear. My fringe was too short to be tucked behind my ear, so it stayed stationary on my forehead. I bit my lip as his eyes trailed down my hair with his hand, detangling it all.

"Jason," I murmured.

He put his arm back around my waist and gripped my hips slightly. He buried his head in my neck, moving it about so his hair tickled my neck. I closed my eyes, wondering what the heck was about to happen right now and whether it was for the good or bad. He pulled his head back as I opened my eyes. His head was below mine but I leaned down.

"Kiss me," he whispered.

My lips hung further apart. "But the deal," I whispered back, "on Christmas Eve."

"To Hell with Christmas Eve," he muttered, "I can't bear to wait nearly two weeks just to kiss you which is something I've wanted for a long time, Tiegan." He paused. "Kiss me," he repeated.

I leaned down slightly as he leaned up. Our lips were about to brush against one another's, my hands on his cheeks as the door suddenly burst open. Jason and I sprang apart and I fell back onto the bed on my coccyx with the mattress squeaking. Johanna stood at the door, shocked and immobile.

"I came in at a bad time," she announced, dropping off the bag on her bed. "I'm just... going to leave these here – yes – I'll be back later," she mumbled before dashing out of the room. The door banged shut.

Flushing a profound shape of magenta, I sat up straight. Jason sat up, too and stood up, shoving his feet into his shoes. I kept my head bowed as he prepared to leave. I lifted my head to see him watching me intensely.

"So you're going to make me wait until Christmas Eve for me to kiss you?" Jason asked his dim-wittingly question.

I nodded. "Yes."

"You drive me insane," he murmured, running a slender hand through his dishevelled hair. "But damn, you leave me enticed and wanting more." He winked at me before turning around.

Flushing still, Jason opened the door and made his own way out, leaving me standing alone in the middle of the room. He closed the door softly behind him and I exhaled loudly, not realising I'd been holding my breath for so long.

See, if we had a desk and a chair in our room, I could fall back onto the chair. Instead, I had to walk back a little paces and fall back onto my bed, letting my head hit the wall which was just my luck. "Damn it," I hissed, reaching out to soften the pain by massaging my scalp.

A moment later, Johanna came wandering in. "I've just seen Jason walking back so I thought now was a good time to come in." She walked over to the bags on her bed, checking the contents by bending down a little before turning to me. "You two didn't take anything, did you?"

"No," I mumbled, sitting up and draping my legs over the side.

Johanna sighed with relief, sitting on the floor and stocking her cupboard with the food and drinks in the bags. "So, did you two kiss or something?" She retracted three cans of Coke and stuffed them at the back in prior to adding one can of Fanta and another can of Dr Pepper.

"We were about to. If you hadn't have come if, we would have."

"So now you're waiting until Christmas Eve again?"

"Yep."

After about five minutes, Johanna finishing stuffing her cupboard with junk food and closed the door. She walked into the bathroom and stuffed her unfilled bags in the bin. When she came back out, she stared at me for a moment, leaning on the door frame.

"You know, I can't wait until you two actually kiss. It's driving me crazy being in this sexual tension-filled room."

I said nothing in response. Instead, I just stared at her. Sexual tension? Really?

I dread to think how intense the tension will be when we do actually kiss.

------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

I honestly don't quite know what I was thinking with this chapter, but regardless, I hope you enjoyed lol. If you did, please do vote and/or leave a comment. We're definitely over halfway through this story now. I think it'll have 60ish chapters rather than 50 as we're still not quite at the end yet.

Thank you :) x