Vampire Queen

I was lying in a grassy field. I could feel the grass tickling my naked body. Petals flitted around my face; petals painted red. Everything was bright around me. The light was not from the sun, but from the moon and stars. Dark and light collided here.

   A faint silhouette of a person appeared in front of me as if it was the negative part of the light. I reached out my hand. A different hand came from within the light and grasped mine. Suddenly I was lifted up into the light and pulled toward the darting silhouette. My heels were digging into the fertile ground as I got closer to the silhouette. I wanted to escape its grasp but I could not resist. I felt powerless, weak. No voice came from my mouth.

   My body was a limp, lifeless puppet being pulled toward its new master. The red painted petals that once touched my skin like silk suddenly turned into a crimson liquid that rained down upon me soaking my skin. My face was expressionless. No tears flowed down my face despite the great urge to cry.

   The air around me grew cold as I neared the menacing, yet kind, silhouette. The light started to blur and transform into darkness. The darkness was taking over. I felt myself in a warm embrace. My head tilted upward. The silhouette had caught me. It stared at me with demonic blood-red eyes.

   My face remained expressionless as I felt a sharp pain in my neck. It was burning me. I felt like I was on fire. I wanted to cry out. I wanted the pain to cease. I wanted to die. But then I felt like I was in ecstasy. The burning sensation on my neck stopped as the silhouette dropped me to the bloodstained ground.

   I sat up feeling reborn. A new power was surging through my body, coursing its way through my veins. The silhouette was smiling at me with those same blood-red eyes and now sharp, white pointed teeth. My face finally moved as I smiled back. That’s when I saw myself.

   My skin was pale white but smeared with blood. Thorn vines wrapped their way around my pale, naked body, anchoring me to the ground. My raven black hair hung in a tousled mess around my face. Blood-red eyes pierced the darkness as well as the same pointed tooth grin as the silhouette. A silver tiara lay upon my head. I felt ice cold lips touch my cheek.

“Jane,” a seductive voice whispered into my ear.

   My mouth opened and I let out a hiss, flashing my new fangs. The silhouette moved over top of me and then…

            My eyes shot open but immediately closed again when bright rays of sunlight blinded them.

“Ugh!” I groaned, turning on my side. Slam! “Jane Megara Ravencroft!” My mother’s voice boomed through my bedroom, jolting me completely awake.

   I sat up in my bed, my raven black hair hung over my face in a natural bed head fashion. Mother yanked open the curtains on my window allowing the full force of the sunlight to blind me. I hissed and put my hands over my face.

   My mother sighed. “I swear Jane sometimes I think you’re such a vampire with your sun problems.”

   I glared at her through my fingers. “Maybe I am a vampire Mother,” I growled.

   She sighed again. “Okay Miss “Vampire” it’s time for school,” she said lightly kicking my backpack which rested on the floor.

   I cursed under my breath and threw my legs over the side of the bed. Mother smiled to herself. “Good. Breakfast will be downstairs when you’re ready.”

   As Mother started to exit the room I opened my mouth and said, “Mom, I had the dream again.”

   She froze in the doorway. A look of horror spread across her face as she faced me.