Temporary Amnesia

Alba's POV

 I feel my eyes drift open and I realise I'm moving through the forest. I'm draped over the back of something and I'm limp. I don't think I can move my legs to run away... 

"Alba?" Someone whispers, they sound like they're trying to talk under water. My eyelids feel heavy, like they've attached weights to my eyelashes whilst I was asleep. I decide to just drift back to wherever I was before - at least there I had some peace.

"Alba, y'have tae wake up." Someone else says calmly. They sound far away, like they don't want to get close to me. "Alba Mirae Fife, open your eyes." I know that name. Just as I start to think about the name, I feel something tug at the corner of my mind - it feels like a puppy pulling the covers off your bed. It gives one last, stronger, tug and the walls around my mind crumble, exposing me to the world.

Alba Mirae Fife, the far away voice is in my head now. This feels familiar - really familiar. 

Yes? I reply, woozily.

Do you know who I am? He questions and I listen carefully to the voice.

I think so, I say as my brain starts to come back into gear.

My name is Roger Fife, he tells me and everything comes flooding back. I imagine my giant brick wall, covered in spikes and coated in ice and feel my guard slam back into place. My eyes snap open as my heart pumps painfully with shock.

I look around, my heart pounding in my ears. How did I end up back in the house? My eyes dart all around the room, and I see my dad standing bold as brass in the sweatpants that mam used to leave on the porch during shift nights. A lump comes to my throat and I look away.

"You were in my head." I tell my dad quietly, tears threatening to make an appearance. I seem to have done nothing but cry over the past few days - it's disgraceful.

"I had to make sure you were alright." Dad says flatly and I glance at him from under my - now weightless - eyelashes. He looks...relieved. And sad. I avert my eyes, not wanting to know what's got him bothered 

"So you forced me back into the were-web?" I ask quietly, too upset to raise my voice.

"I took you straight back out of it." Dad replies sharply and I wince at how quick he is to make sure I know I'm not welcome with his family. They used to be my family too, and with that thought the tears run down my cheeks. I try to roll off the wooden cabinet I got dumped on, but pain sears across my abdomen. I choke out a gasp of surprise as I end up rolling myself onto the floor.

"Oomph." I bite my tongue as I thud onto the floor and huff irritably. Stupid cabinet.

"Alba!" Dad sounds panicked and I look around, trying to figure out what family heirloom I broke. Can't see any, I start to chew my lip uneasily as I use the cabinet to prop myself upright. Fuck, I feel like someone's been Highland dancing in football boots on my stomach.

"Didn't mean to." I mutter as I try not to be sick.

"Alba, your dad has to go." I turn to see the other person who was talking, Precious, and glower.

"Everyone leaves." I mutter to myself as I slide back onto the floor, unable to stand up and deal with the pain at the same time. I feel something tug in my chest as I stare at the curtains. It's a full moon now. I roll my eyes towards my dad and realise he's already shifted.

Jeez, how did you not hear that god awful racket? I ignore the voice in my head now I'm alone and watch the wolf bolt out the house, leaving me with Precious.

Precious, I snigger in my head, that will never get old.

"What happened Alba?" Precious asks wearily as I try to crawl to the door. "DAMN IT ALBA, STOP TRYING TO ESCAPE!" Precious screeches as she jumps in front of me. Jesus, what's with the shorts? She's fucking human and we're in Kinross. I don't wanna see her knees - I don't have a knee fetish. I do however seem to have found the wee box in my head called 'Hysterical Breakdown' which is now open and spilling its contents over every thought in my head.