21

"Sarge, mckenzie has just been shot" jay breathed as he got to the top of the stairs "condition unknown"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was like everything was crumbling around me. Kevin had the same look of disbelief.

"McKenzie as in my bear" Kev said.

"Yeah Platt just got the call" jay said putting his hand on kevs shoulder.

"Let's roll" Hank said as he headed downstairs.

"Bro she's gonna be ok, she's a tough one" I mumbled to Kev as we headed down to the cars.

I just wanted to fly over to med just to be with Blair.

———

"So how is she" Erin asked as we walking back up to the bullpen.

"They took three pellets out of her chest. No internal damage, so that's... that's good. They left two in her arm. I guess it's in a safe position, whatever the hell that means." I sighed.

I hadn't even seen Blair yet and it was killing me.

"Well, she's tough, that one. But she'd want you focused right here, okay, so let's... let's get to work." She smiled at me.

"Positive I.D. on our victim in the tub... Luther Markov, 73 years old. Retired dean of psychology at Central Chicago University. He's divorced. Family isn't local. Nothing in his background. He was a model citizen." Kev said pinning things on the board.

"Well, what about the political connection, the Bulgarian embassy? That's how we ended up at his door in the first place." I said leaning against my desk.

"Lindsay, Halstead, Ruzek... we'll check his work." Just as we grabbed her coats Hank spoke again "Whoa. Whoa. We're knocking his door down, we're doing it with the Bomb Unit."

———

"Halstead, go around the back. How you doin', ray?" Hank said "So are we crazy here?"

"I don't know yet. We ran an RF scan with the spectrum analyzer... picking up some radio activity in the shop. We need a visual" one of the guys from the bomb squad said.

"Well, let me take a look" I shouted up.

"Yeah, just... "

"My hands are steady."

"Yeah, he's good." Hank nodded at me

"Everybody get low. It looks like the same setup from the house. There's no doorbell. All right, hold up. Uh, okay, nobody move." I shouted.

"What is it?" Hank asked

"It's a vibration sensor on the back of the door. Just, you know, don't move."

"Back door's clear" jay said through the radio.

"Stand down. Nobody goes till I say so."

"Copy that"

"Sarge. Back door's covered. Another shotgun rig, same kind that took Blair down. It's gonna take a while to disable"

———

I was now sat staring at Blair's empty hospital bed as Trudy walked into the room.

"Hey, Sarge." I sighed "They took her back to the O.R. She was developing compartment syndrome or something. So they had to release some pressure."

"Two surgeries in one day?" She asked

"Yeah." I nodded

"Third one gets you free toppings. Sorry. It's really good you're here" she sighed sitting next to me "You know I got shot in the ass, right? Sure, you tell people it's the hip, the lower, lower back side of the hip, but I got shot in the ass."

"Jeez, I'm sorry to hear that."

"Well, it was different, being a lady police. They didn't want you, a lot of guys. So when I woke up, no one was there. Dawson was interrogating the jagoff that shot me. Interrogating. Broke his jaw. I understood this, but when you're waking up... I shouldn't have been alone." She said

Feeling my phone buzz in my pocket I checked the message from the guys.

"They're closing in on a suspect." I mumbled.

I wanted to stay here for Blair but I also wanted to bring this prick down.

"Hey, if you can help find this guy, go." Trudy smiled

"You'd stay?" I asked.

"They'd have to drag me away."

"Thank you, Sarge."

———

Walking back into Blair's room I smiled at trudy. Kev didn't want to be here until she woke up he couldn't take seeing his little sister just laying there. So he was happy I kept checking in on her.

"Sleeping beauty still awaits true love's kiss." Trudy half laughed.

"How'd you know about us anyway?" I asked taking my jacket off.

"I passed the detective exam twice in my storied career at the police, you know."

"You didn't, like, tell anyone?" I asked

"I detest gossip of any kind. Abhor it. This was bought out of desperation. I plan on billing the department." She laughed

Blair started to wake up mumbling

"Hey. Hey, I'm here" I whispered taking her hand.

"I'll come back. Mckenzie next time, little tip from a superior. Duck." Trudy smiled

"That's great advice, Sergeant." Blair strained.

"How long was I out?" She mumbled

"Well, the doctor had to take you back and get those pellets outta your arm. You remember you were shot?" I said squeezing her hand

"What? I was shot? What year is this? Who is the president? What is the Internet?" She smirked.

"You are very funny. I'm not strong enough to be messed with right now." I sighed.

"Hey. You were worried about me.?" She asked

"You have no idea. It's okay. I love you, you know?" I breathed I know we only just got together but I couldn't hold it in any longer.

"I love you, too." She whispered

"Well, we have that in common." I laughed leaning down and kissing her.