part twenty two

jj's pov

"is something wrong?" pope suddenly asked me, bringing me out of my thoughts.

we were attending another kegger at the boneyard. the sun had already set and i was sat near the fire with pope and some other friends.

"what no? why would something be wrong?" i said.

"your like.." he paused, "all twitchy and shit."

"i am not twitchy and shit," i scoffed, taking another sip out of my cup. i scanned my eyes over the boneyard for about the hundredth time that night just so i could look at hannah again.

i'd been trying to make my glances inconspicuous but pope seemed to have been catching on.

"you good? you on like the hard stuff now?" pope taunted.

"shut up," i said, pushing him slightly. i glanced over at the brunette again who was still talking to the stupid guy standing next to her. probably some touron or something.

coincidentally our eyes met this time, as they had multiple times throughout the night. i was glad to know i wasn't the only one staring.

i watched her turn back quickly to the guy and say something before walking away from him. i tried to focus back on the conversation that my friends were holding but the next thing i knew my arm was pulled and i was being dragged away.

the brunettes strong grip caught my attention but she didn't look at me, just continued to drag me, leading me towards the ocean and away from the party.

"what are you doing?" i asked. the girl didn't respond, she carried on with what looked like some sort of mission. perhaps she was going to drown me in the ocean.

once she got me to the edge of the water she let go of her grip and turned to face me.

"you have to stop staring at me," hannah said.

"i was not staring," i scoffed. my blatant lie just caused her to roll her eyes. "okay, okay fine i was staring."

"well stop," she stated, "it's making me nervous."

"i'm making you nervous?" i teased and smirked down at the girl.

"jj i swear-" the girl began to huff but i cut her off by pressing my lips against hers. i felt her smile against my mouth which instantly gave me that fluttering feeling in my stomach. god i have turned into a pussy. when we pulled away our eyes locked and she sighed.

"you kissing me just makes me more nervous you know," she mumbled.

"why?"

"i- i just-," she stuttered, "we haven't talked about it."

"talked about what?" i asked. i knew what she meant but i feared the conversation that it was about to lead to.

"you know.." she hesistated, tucking a hair behind her ear, "the- the kissing."

"what's there to talk about?" i asked. her face fell at my response, and i instantly felt bad about it.

"well, did you- did you mean it?" she faltered.

"damn," i began, "i guess i have to get better at my dramatic rain scenes. you know, get more into character. did it need some added angst? is that what i was missing?"

"jj," she slapped my chest lightly as she giggled and i began to laugh with her.

"i- yeah, i meant it," i answered, "whatever that's supposed to mean."

"what does it mean?" hannah muttered, biting her lip.

"what do you want it to mean?"

i liked hannah, but i didn't really think about what was going to happen after i kissed her. i did it out of impulse that day. i was slowly losing my damn mind being alone in that house with her. i could not take listening to her tease me about how there was no food in my house or watching her walk around in my hoodie.

although i hated kiara's lectures, i think i really needed one right now about how to grow a pair and confess my feelings or whatever you want to call them.

"jj?" i heard the girl call my name, bringing me out of my daze.

"uh sorry what?"

"you seem to get lost in your thoughts very often," she giggled. it was funny how well she seemed to catch onto my tendencies, even though she'd known me for such a short amount of time.

i'm not going to lie, it was annoying sometimes when she noticed how i was off even in the slightest bit. but it was also refreshing, it that even makes any sense.

like last summer i could easily hide everything that i was feeling, and no one seemed to notice because everyone and their mothers had their head up john b's ass.

so when hannah would pry at how i was feeling, it just felt like someone really cared.

i also noticed things about her too. like the way her eyes lit up whenever she laughed, and how they squinted when she smiled just left me memorized. or when she would stutter her words when she was nervous, usually tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"well, hannah," i started, "i like you."

i could see the blush rise onto her cheeks, something that also tended to happen when she was nervous.

"i like you too," she replied softly. that was my favorite thing about her, when she spoke so quiet and soothingly. i could listen to that girl talk for hours.

"well then does that answer your question?" i asked as i put a finger under her chin to lift it up.

"mhm" she hummed as she leaned into me for the second time that night, attaching our lips again.

it was as if the whole world had stopped, like the kegger was no longer there and you couldn't see the fire that remained in the boneyard. the brunette in front of me was my only focus right now, and if you had told me that a few weeks ago i would have never believed you.

god i am turning into such a pussy.