Chapter 23

''Interesting.''

 Deerleap looked at Speckleflower, who was inspecting Irissmoke. ''What is it?'' He asked. ''Is Irissmoke all right?''

 ''Yes.'' Speckleflower nodded. ''Her kits will arrive any day now.'' She meowed, looking at him.

 Deerleap started purring. My kits will arrive soon! Then, he froze. StarClan, please let Irissmoke be all right.

 Irissmoke broke into a purr. ''Did you hear that, Deerleap? Our kits will arrive soon!'' She looked overjoyed.

 Deerleap nodded. ''Yes. Do you need anything, though?"

 ''N-'' Irissmoke paused, thinking. ''Actually, I would like a squirrel, please.'' She meowed.

 ''I'll be back soon, then.'' Deerleap meowed and padded out of the nursery, rushing towards the fresh-kill pile.

 ''..And Deerleap defended me from Ravenflight!''

 The warrior's ears flicked and turned. Maplekit was talking with Cactuskit, Eelkit, and Blackkit.

 ''Woah!'' Maplekit exclaimed. ''Ravenflight is scary!'' She commented.

 ''She's not.'' Blackkit meowed. ''Once, she-''

 Deerleap didn't hear anymore, because Ferretbounce hurried over to the kits.

 Deerleap shrugged and nosed through the pile. Then, he grabbed a squirrel and turned around, padding back to the nursery. Once there, he dropped the prey at Irissmoke's paws. ''Here you go.'' He purred. He noticed that Speckleflower already left.

 ''Thank you.'' Irissmoke purred and began eating the squirrel. ''I hope Lilypetal will be back soon, though. I don't think Speckleflower is ready to help a queen have kits on her own yet.'' She meowed.

 Deerleap nodded. ''I agree. But surely she'll be back soon.''

 The medicine cat had left to go talk with the ThunderClan medicine cat earlier that day.  Deerleap didn't understood why.

 Medicine cat business, probably.

 ''I'll let you eat now.'' Deerleap meowed, touching his mate's ears with his nose. ''If you need anything, call me.''

 ''All right. Bye!'' Irissmoke purred, and continued to eat the squirrel. 

 Deerleap turned and padded out of the nursery, and then rushed over to his friends. ''Where's Ferretbounce?'' He asked.

 ''With Maplekit. Did you already forget that he's taking care of her?'' Iceskin meowed. 

 Deerleap blinked. ''Well, he doesn't need to take care of her every heartbeat, though.''

 ''That's true, but he acts like he's Maplekit's father.'' Turtlepond meowed. ''It's probably because she didn't meet her father, and Ferretbounce wants to be her father figure.''

 ''Maybe.'' Deerleap meowed, stretching his paws. ''Also, have you heard the news about Irissmoke?'' He asked.

 ''What news?'' Iceskin tilted his head

 ''Her kits could arrive any day now!'' Deerleap purred.

 Iceskin froze, then broke into a purr. ''I'll be an uncle soon!''

 ''And I'll be- erm, an uncle that is not really an uncle.'' Turtlepond purred awkwardly.

 Deerleap purred, then noticed that Lilypetal padded in the camp with herbs in her mouth. Deerleap looked at her. ''Welcome back, Lilypetal. Did you got the herbs you needed?'' He asked.