Chapter 4- Encounter

Logan

We tried to cheer Danielle up as much as possible on the way there, and she actually looked a lot better when we got to the mall. She was smiling and Rayne even bought her a soft pretzel and a coke icee, which was completely uncalled for since it was my money.

We went straight to the hairdresser once we got there and Rayne immediately started talking to the stylist  about Danielle's hair. I walked uncomfortably to the corner. Great. I was the only boy here.

Rayne obviously knew the hairdresser since she was talking to her like they were best friends. Danielle eventually got tired of their talking, so she walked over to stand by me.

"So, little miss prep. Having second thoughts about your haircut yet? All you 'friends' are going to hate you!" I said with a smirk. As soon as it came out of my mouth I regretted it though.  I excpected her to be angry. Instead she looked away and simply said, "I know."

We sat on silence for a few seconds until I finally said, "Look Danielle, I'm sorry. I really am and I know what you are going through. It just seems hard to believe that you, of all people, are suddenly going through this. Ever since middle school I have been afraid of people like you, as much as I try to hide it. I hate how you stare at us, talk about us, and treat us like we are some different species. Even the toughest of us hate it. And we all know how hard it can be when your realizing what you are starting to understand. I just hope that you will be able to deal with it better than others. I would really hate to see you hurt yourself."

Danielle looked at the ground, her blonde hair covering her eyes. But even though I couldn't see her face, I saw a single tear drop to the ground, and that's when I started wondering, what if she already is dealing with it the wrong way? But before I could say anything else the hairdresser called Danielle up. Danielle took one last look back at me as she went to sit in the chair and I'm sure she could see th horror in my eyes.

Rayne followed me out of the hair place while Danielle got her hair done. We sat in silence while I thought  about Danielle. What if she was cutting herself? I had no idea how to deal with that and i really hoped that I was overreacting. It was weird, but I was actually starting to like Danielle. I had completely misjudged her actually...

"Logan?" I heard Rayne say, piercing through my thoughts. I had been so caught up in them that I had forgotten about Rayne. I looked down at her worried face, inches from mine, and despite the situation, all I wanted to do was kiss her.

"Yes?" I whispered, wanting to smell the sweet scent of her hair and have her in his arms and never let go.

"What's wrong?" she asked? And even though she tried to hide it, I knew she wanted to kiss me too. "I'm probably just overreacting..." I whispered slowly bringing her face towards mine. Rayne wrapped her arms around my neck as a kissed her back, taking in eveything I had missed so much about her. Her beautiful brown penetrating eyes, her soft black hair, her sweet flowery scent that most boys couldn't stand, but on Rayne, it was the sweetest scent in the world. All the sounds of the mall went away as I put my arms around her waste and pulled her closer.

Everything I was worried about before had been forgotten. I was oblivious to my public surrounding and didn't even notice when a man shouted "Get a room!" All that mattered was the Rayne was mine again.

"Ahem." I heard a voice cough behind as and we broke apart. Rayne was blushing as I we turned and saw Danielle's grinning face. I was trying not to laugh as I turned back to Rayne and saw her entire face turn completely red.

Rayne finally managed to choke a few words out. "Danielle you look amazing!" She said running over to  hug her. I smiled. Danielle actually did look pretty good. Her hair still blonde but the once thin hair was now layered and had thin purple streaks in it.