Chapter 1

***Edited***
(After 15 years)

Ariana's PoV:-

"I think you should get married, Ariana" Mr.Knight asked playfully, his eyes shining with a mischievous glint.

"But Mr. Knight I am just 21. Why would I marry at this age?" I replied gasping at his choice of topic for the evening. He never fails to bring one or the other topic of the year to come up with. Moreover, his chosen topics are always way more entertaining than ever expected.

"But you are pretty" he replied, taking a full spoon of peanut butter into his mouth for which he earned a glare from mom.

"Dad, why are you always after My Angel" Ryan intervened, thank God, he chose to save me from prying eyes and bombardment of these questions.

I smiled at his attempt to rescue me from his dad.

"Ryan but you must tell, isn't she pretty?" Mr. Knight asked Ryan smiling and winking after a few seconds.

I saw a playful gleam in his eyes and narrowed my eyes at him to intimidate him from saying anything stupid. I know that only raised his itch to be more like a tease now. He won't let that go easily.

"Yeah Dad. Angel is pretty but you are right. We should marry her soon otherwise she won't get a good looking man because of her wrinkles and eye bags." Ryan replied nonchalantly, smirking.
I did notice his playful tone though. I rolled my eyes, I knew that he won't let that go without making a jest out of it.

"You, you pig. I do not have any of those features." I replied laughing at his nonsense description of frail beauty. I might look a little untamed, a little home wrecked. That's because of my poor self. I have a lot of jobs to deal with the harsh reality of my life.

"You already look 31, babes" Ryan replied sticking out his tongue.

No. That's a lie.

"I am gonna kill you ,Ryan" I whispered, glaring at him.

"Oh. Ryan. I am serious." Mr. Knight said looking at me with hopeful eyes.

He really thinks I am gonna agree with him.!
I know he is playfully teasing me still I felt dejected because of this insane topic.

I mean I've just turned 21 last month how can they even think of tying me up to someone.

"Oh Daniel, leave my poor child. She is so young." Mom came and hugged me from behind.

I sigh on realising atleast Mom came to save me from these grumpy looking men.
I smiled at her adoringly.
"Yeah, Mom just ask them to leave me alone" I pouted, playfully.

Yes, after momma died Ryan and I became best friends. He'd always been by my side. Ryan's mom asked me to call her mom one day when I was missing my momma alot. I was just 5 at that time. She explained me that as Ryan is my best friend I can call her Mom, so I always called her mom since then.

Mr. Knight never mentioned anything but he has always been like a father figure for me.

Ryan calls me Angel since my Momma's funeral though I don't know why ?
I've asked him many times but he shrugs away the question changing the topic instantly.

It's been years together. I do not remember a single day without him. He protected me from everyone at school and even in college.

We went to the same college too. Apparently, he chose to be my shield all these years.