part 11

“Rachel!” I hear Amber wining at me from the other side of the door.  Amber, Krista, Rhiley and I were all getting ready at my house then we were going to Brads party.  We had all done our hair and makeup and they were wearing their dresses, which meant that everyone was ready but me.  I look at myself in the mirror again.

I had locked myself in the bathroom because I was embarrassed.  Last night at the mall, I found a really cute dress.  It looked good on me, and it seemed like the shoes I had bought earlier were made to match the dress.  The only problem was: it is very revealing.

My dress is made of forest green chiffon.  It is floor length, and now that I think about it, way too dressy to wear to some rich kids birthday party.  Too late now, I think to myself.  The top of the dress, which is very tight, is decked out in tiny little jewels; I believe the term is bedazzled.  The rest of the dress is loose and it flows beautifully whenever I move.  It is a bit too long for me, but with my shoes, it is the perfect length, it is like the dress was made for me.

I have on long silver teardrop earrings, they belonged to my grandmother and when I showed my mom the dress that I bought, she said they would be perfect.  I have kept my makeup simple and light, just a bit of glitter on my eyes and a touch of blush.  For my hair, Rhiley curled it and then put it in a loose up-do.  She left the front pieces of my hair down so they would frame my face, and she wrapped the hair around itself so that it would stay in a loose bun at the back of my head, and some hair could fall out.

I honestly think that I will be way too dressed up for this party.  Last night when we were shopping, though, Annie had assured me that some people wore ball gowns to his parties.  This is an excuse for people to get dressed up, and who doesn’t like doing that?

“RACHEL!” yells Amber, again, as she starts banging on the door.

“One minute!” I yell back to her.  I take one last look in the mirror, and decide that I am about as ready as I will ever be.  I leave the bathroom, and enter my room.  The party starts at 8:00, it is 7:54.  We don’t want to get there early, so we decide to leave in about half an hour.  I look at my clock again, just as I hear a knock on the door.  It must be Derek. 

Suddenly I feel my face flush, what if I am way over dressed for him?  When I get to the door, I see that it is not Derek, but Kait.  She looks at me with wide eyes, taking in what I am wearing.  “Rachel!” she squeals, and I duck my head.  She walks in and then we go up to my room with the rest of the girls.

It is not until she sits down on my bed that I realize that something is wrong.  “We broke up!” she says to us, tears forming in her eyes.  I can tell that she is not wearing any makeup.  Well this is just great.

“What!?” asks Rhiley, shocked, “Why? What did he do?”  We are all shocked actually.  They were like the couple that was supposed to stay together for a really long time.  My theory was that they were both too nice to break up with each other.

“N-nothing!” she replies, crying, “It was m-me!” She is full out crying now, so Amber goes and sits beside her.  Kait wraps her arms around Amber and cries into her shoulder.  Now I am really curious, what did she do?  I really want to ask her this question but I don’t want to seem mean, or hurt her feelings.

“What happened?” ask s Krista, “you guys seemed fine yesterday.”

“Yah, we, we just...I don’t know...” She gets really flustered.  I furrow my brow, what’s going on? “I didn’t mean to,” she finally says, her voice going really quiet.

“What?” I ask her, now I am concerned.  What could this girl have done to cause Josh to break up with her?

“Why did he break up with you?” asks Rhiley, still shocked.