Chapter 14

The sun already began to rise when the vigil was over.

 ''Everyone, move away from the body!'' Cloverstar's yowl woke up Deerleap. He got up and backed off. He was tired, because he feel asleep while sitting vigil for Stonestar, and he felt embarrassed about it.

 ''Froghiss.'' Cloverstar called, looking at the elder. ''Can you take Stonestar's body and go bury him?'' She asked.

 The elder looked up. ''Of course, Cloverstar.'' He nodded, padding over to the dead leader. He gently picked him up by the scruff.

 ''Smallfur, please go and help him.'' Cloverstar meowed. 

 The warrior nodded and padded over to the elder, helping him take the body out of camp. When they left camp, the new leader looked around.

 ''The vigil is now done.'' Cloverstar meowed, flicking her tail. ''Echoflower, I want you to make a border patrol.''

 The she-cat nodded and quickly gathered some cats.

 Deerleap yawned and backed off. ''I hope Stonestar is happy in StarClan.'' He meowed.

 ''But he was happy here, in ShadowClan.'' Irissmoke meowed. 

 Turtlepond nodded. ''That's true.''

 ''I know, but I'm sure he lost many friends and family.'' Deerleap meowed. ''I think he's happier in StarClan, because he reunited with them.'' He added. 

 Ferretbounce nodded. ''That's true.''

 Iceskin said nothing. Instead, he stared at Deerleap. 

 The pale brown tom hissed. I'm not doing anything! Why is he so angry with me?

 Echoflower padded towards the group of warriors. ''Deerleap, Irissmoke, I want you two to go hunt.'' She meowed. 

 Deerleap nodded.

 ''Hold up, what?'' Iceskin blinked. ''Can I go with them?''

 ''No.'' Echoflower shook her head, then turned and padded away. 

 Iceskin hissed.

 ''Let's go, then.'' Irissmoke meowed and padded out of camp. 

 Deerleap looked at Iceskin triumphantly, then followed the she-cat.

 The ShadowClan territory was silent. The birds were chirping happily in the trees. 

 Deerleap blinked. ''The birds are so happy.''

 ''Yes, they really are.'' Irissmoke nodded, sniffing the air. ''But we have to focus on hunting now.'' She meowed. 

 Deerleap nodded. ''True.''

 ''I smell a squirrel, hold on.'' Irissmoke whispered, following the scent. Then, when she saw the squirrel, she crouched and creeped towards it. Deerleap silently watched her.

 The squirrel looked towards Irissmoke, noticing her. It screeched, sprinting away. Irissmoke hissed and followed it.

 Deerleap ran after Irissmoke. The squirrel ran onto the Thunderpath, then it jumped on the other side and disappeared. Irissmoke stopped, hissing. ''Where did the squirrel go?''

 Then, Deerleap noticed that the she-cat stopped on the Thunderpath. A monster ran directly towards the she-cat. Deerleap froze.

 Irissmoke twitched her ears and turned her head, noticing the monster. Her eyes widened, frozen in fear.

 No! Deerleap forced his paws to move, then ran towards Irissmoke. He threw himself at the she-cat, pushing her out of the way. Then, Deerleap quickly jumped after the she-cat, dodging the monster just in time.

 Irissmoke shrieked in fear, looking after the monster. Deerleap looked to her. ''Are you all right?''

 ''Yes.. yes, I'm all right.'' Irissmoke panted, rising up to her paws. She gave her chest a few embarrassed licks and then looked at Deerleap. She purred. ''Thank you. You just saved my life.''

 Deerleap smiled. ''I couldn't bear to lose you.''

 Irissmoke blinked, looking at Deerleap. The tom noticed a spark of love in the she-cat's eyes, but it quickly dissappeared. ''Let's go back to our territory. We don't want to be caught by a ThunderClan patrol.'' Irissmoke meowed. 

 Deerleap nodded.

 The she-cat looked both ways, then quickly crossed the Thunderpath back on ShadowClan's territory. Deerleap followed her.

 ''Let's continue hunting.'' Irissmoke meowed. 

 Deerleap could tell she was still shocked by what just happened, but the tom nodded.

 Deerleap and Irissmoke padded back in camp. The tom had a squirrel and a frog in his jaws, and there were two lizards on his back. He padded over to the fresh-kill pile and dropped the prey there. Irissmoke did the same with her prey, then they padded over to their friends.

 ''Where's Iceskin?'' Irissmoke asked, looking around for her brother.

 ''He's patrolling the border with ThunderClan.'' Turtlepond answered, yawning. ''He just left.''

 ''Oh, all right.'' Irissmoke meowed. 

 Deerleap sighed, relieved. Finally Irissmoke's crazy brother isn't here to stare at me with hate!

 The two cats sat down next to each other. Ferretbounce looked at them. ''Irissmoke, did something happen? You look as scared as a kit who lost its mother.'' He meowed.

 Irissmoke looked at the tom. ''Oh, yes, I'm all right! I.. well, when I ran after a squirrel, I stopped on the Thunderpath. A monster almost got me, but Deerleap saved me.'' She meowed.

 Turtlepond blinked, looking at the she-cat. ''Are you all right?'' He asked. 

 The she-cat nodded.

 Ferretbounce looked over at Deerleap. ''Saved her, huh?'' He mumbled, moving closer to his brother. ''Are you trying to make her fall in love with you or what?'' He whispered.

 Deerleap burst out laughing. ''Of course not! But I'm trying. However, you don't think I would've let her get hit, do you?'' He asked. 

 Ferretbounce shook his head. ''Of course not!''

 Then, Iceskin padded back to camp with his patrol. As soon as he saw Irissmoke, he ran over to her, hissing towards Deerleap. Then, he sat close to her and whispered something in her ear.

 Ferretbounce rolled his eyes. ''Here comes the overprotective brother.'' He mumbled. 

 Deerleap purred. ''Honestly, sometimes you're just as overprotective as him.'' He smiled.

 Ferretbounce blinked. ''Me? No way! Did I try to stop you from having a crush on Irissmoke? No. Iceskin acts like his sister would die if she became your mate.'' He meowed.

 Deerleap nodded. ''But maybe there's something else bothering him.'' He mumbled. ''Maybe he's scared of losing her, or- I don't know.'' He whispered.

 ''Then he's frog-brained.'' Ferretbounce rolled his eyes.

 ''I agree.'' Turtlepond meowed, moving closer to them. ''Iceskin kept asking Irissmoke if you did something to her, Deerleap.'' He meowed. 

 Deerleap blinked. ''Oh?''

 ''You should tell him how you saved her from that monster.'' Ferretbounce whispered. ''I'm sure he will trust you then.''

 ''Or he will probably scream at me that it was my fault she almost got hit.'' Deerleap whispered, rolled his eyes.

 ''I understand.'' Turtlepond meowed. ''But you will still prove to Iceskin that he can trust you, right?''

 ''Yes.'' Deerleap meowed. ''I promise to prove myself to him, no matter how long it will take.''