Chapter Thirteen- Answers

I left the door open and leaped onto the empty corridor. It was midday, which would be the middle of the night for vampires. I ran as noiselessly as I could along the wall, stopping at corners to make sure no one was at the turn. 

The thing about my crazy plans was that they were sort of... unfinished. Whenever I did something, whatever it was, I did it on impulse, without more thorough thinking. I noted that if I was to become a Rebel that should change. I couldn’t be reckless and thoughtless. It kind of scared me a little. I tried to imagine myself as a responsible and thoughtful vampire, and the image that came to my mind almost made me burst out in hysterical giggles. It was so ridiculous. First of all, I had quite a hard time seeing myself as a vampire, even if I had been one in all my past lives. I could hardly imagine living on a night based schedule, attending a school filled with people who drank blood at their lunch period and feeding off a male blood whore. This was all so… wrong. And so un-Lucinda-like.

But let’s get back to my plan. It was the "I'll-worry-about-what- I'll-do-later-when-I-actually-get-there" sort of plan, and it stopped right when I got out of my room. As to what I did now... Well, I've got no idea. So I stopped and leaned against a crimson wall-papered wall.

My first choice was to go on searching through the mansion and hope I wouldn’t run into a hostile vamp, just waiting to suck me dry.

My second option was to go back to my room.

My third option… well, it was non-existent.

I considered my two first (and only) choices.

Pro of the first option: If I searched the mansion, I would eventually (maybe) find Ambrose’s room or study, or whatever place he was at.

Con of the first option: The mansion was huge. And did I say it was huge?

Pro of the second option: None.

Con of the second option: Getting back to my room might result in finding a very pissed Nathanael on my way or still in my room, which in turn might result in me spending the rest of my mortality in room arrest. Which would royally suck, thank you very much. And I will get no answers at all.

Seeing as the second options had no pros at all, I decided that the first option was the best reasonable choice. As much as any of my options could be reasonable, anyways.

So I continued walking and searching, discovering that Ambrose pretty much fancied the Victorian era deco. Which was kind of cliché. No seriously. A vampire who liked antique furniture… Dracula much? After half an hour of pointless wandering around I realized that even if I'd wanated, I couldn't have changed my mind and go back to my room. The reason was simple. I was lost. As in "Gosh-I'm-in-a-freaking-mansion" kind of lost. 

After a while, I stopped checking the turns to see if anyone was coming, tired of acting like some super secret spy or something. It felt silly. So when I bumped into a girl, don't be surprised that I was relieved to see her, even if she was a vampire. Okay, well, I can't say I wasn't just a little bit scared, but I was mostly relieved. 

"Oh my goodies!" she exclaimed, eyes wide and surprised. 

"You can say that," I said tiredly. "What are you doing wandering around in the middle of the night?" I asked, feeling weird since it wasn't technically the middle of the night, because it was the middle of the day, with shining sun and all of that. Not that I could see it, with the windows being tinted. 

"I could ask you the same question," she said calmly and I studied her. Green eyes, slightly cat-like, unsettling. Red curly hair, beautiful in a fiery and wild way. A pale face, strikingly beautiful. Typical vampire. "As to answer yours, I was up for a little midnight snack."