12, appearances can deceive

"L/n, are you coming to practice today?"

Y/n walked with Kita down the hall towards one of their afternoon classes. Lately she had been slowly, finally, transitioning into her third year classes. However, it did start a few minor rumours when some nosy third years discovered that she was held back a year but it didn't bother her much. She worked harder than anyone else in her year to make up for it and besides, it was better than staying behind a whole extra year.

"I guess, I'm staying with the twins until my parents get back on Thursday anyways." Y/n shrugged, ignoring the stares of a couple people as they walked.

"Are you getting enough sleep? You look tired."

Y/n sighed, she always seemed to have a mom around even when her actual one was away.

"Yes, I'm doing fine. These extra classes haven't caught up to me yet."

Kita smiled, "Good. I do hope you'll be awake for practice after school."

.......................................

"Y/n, it's nice to see you here."

Y/n smiled at the coach in greeting, sitting herself comfortably on the bench. She noticed Akagi walking up and sitting down next to her as he pulled on his knee pads.

"Why do you always come to watch us?" There wasn't any hostility, just curiosity.

"Do you not want me to?" Y/n tilted her head. She hadn't talked to the libero much, but he had noticed her eyeballing him on the court pretty frequently. At least she acts like a regular human being and not like those annoying girls who come sometimes to scream over the twins.

Akagi was taken aback, and he waved his hands innocently, "What? No, stay. I was just curious because I noticed you watching me a lot? In a not creepy kind of way don't get me wrong! I guess it's just...kind of nice not being squealed at once in a while?"

Y/n laughed, making his eyes light up for a moment. She hadn't thought of it that way, her suddenly appearing out of nowhere to watch them practice because Kenta asked her to, if she were in Akagi's shoes she'd be weirded out as well.

"Don't worry, I'm no fan girl. I'm just here to learn." She smiled warmly and the libero felt his ears heat up.

"I just, I noticed you watching me a lot during practice."

"That's because she's also a libero, Akagi." Osamu called while he was untangling the net.

"Woah! For real?"

Y/n nodded, dropping her gaze and mumbling something he couldn't pick up. Akagi raised his eyebrow, "did you say something?"

"You're really good..." The compliment caused the libero to flush entirely before she finished her sentence.

"But, I think you can move faster than that. Position yourself lower and don't lean forward so much or you'll lose your balance. Oh and don't hold back on your dives, if you're afraid of getting hurt then you need to refine your form."

Y/n slapped a hand over her mouth, incredulous at how her thoughts just slipped out in a torrent. The gym went so quiet that you could hear Akagi's jaw hit the ground, he didn't know whether he was offended, shocked, or amazed and at that moment everyone except one certain middle blocker was thinking the same thing.

Who the hell does she think she is?

"BWAHAHA!" Suna couldn't stop his laugh from bursting out. He knew he looked like a total idiot but the only person to ever have criticized Akagi like that was the coach. He wiped a tear from his eye and fell back into a smirk. Don't look so insulted Akagi, y/n's name alone could mop the floor with your ass.

His smirk turned into a look of shock when he realized he accidentally said that out loud. Y/n's heart plummeted into her stomach, does he know? It didn't matter now, the damage was done and questions filled the heads of every player in the gym. Their gazes ping-ponged between her and Suna, seeking answers neither of them could give. 

Suna himself, had the shame to wince, remembering Kenta's warning to not confront her about anything in front of other people. Well shit. He opened his mouth, an excuse already prepared, but someone beat him to it. 

Kita sensed her discomfort and covered for her quickly, "Suna stop making jokes, we are supposed to be warming up. We all know y/n no longer plays volleyball."

Ouch, okay. Y/n knew she had said it herself a million times, but it hit differently hearing someone else say it. She felt an angry ball of conflict bubbling within her, where part of her wanted to succumb and agree and part of her wanted to deny so, so badly.

We both know you love volleyball with all your heart. Y/n remembered Kenta's words from their conversation a while back,

"Screw you Kenta, you know me too well." Y/n mumbled and stood up, grabbing her bag. She walked past the coach and he grinned innocently at her deadpan response.

"You, and Kenta. You planned this didn't you? You were baiting me this whole time."

"We did what we felt was necessary." He replied calmly, the slightest hint of a smirk concealed behind his stoic expression. 

Y/n sighed deeply and nodded. "May I?"

"Please, the boys won't mind."

"Wait where are you going?" Atsumu's voice called as she made her way to the gym doors. "Don't go it's okay. Suna's just an asshole sometimes."

Y/n paused and looked back defiantly, a trace of her old flame burning in the back of her eyes. 

"To change, I'm playing today."