Chapter 7

We all stood together, arms linked. We were in front of the distribution center, waiting for them to open the gates. It was our first strike without Crutchy. Today, everything I did, was for him. The gates opened, the carriage came out and we all scattered. The traitors all came out with their papes.

"All right, everyone remain calm," Davey said.

Everyone was quiet for a second. I sure as heck ain't remaining calm!

"Let's soak 'em for Crutchy!" Jack shouted.

"Soak 'em for Crutchy!" I echoed.

We all ran in. The other doors opened once some of the traitors beat on it, and men walked through, weapons in hand.

Me and Race started running. "Jack!" I yelled.

"Jack, it's a trick!" Race yelled.

We became trapped. They closed the gates to where we couldn't get out. I was right behind Jack when the Delanceys came out.

"Hey, Jackie boy,"

I ran to help Davey get Les clear from the fighting but he already had it handled. We were all crowded into a circle, the men threatening to injure us. Jack and the Delanceys were throwing punches and I was standing beside Davey.

"You alright, Jo?" Davey asked.

"Yeah," I answered, my voice starting to quiver. But if I was going to go down, I was going to go down fighting. I started throwing punches at any of the men I saw. Davey had to pull me back.

Then, something I had been watching and waiting for happened. I looked up, and fellas our ages started popping up above us.

"It can't be," I breathed. He kept his word!

"Nevah fear! Brooklyn is he-ah!" A voice shouted. One I unmistakably knew. I looked on the fire escape and there stood Spot and some of his fellas. That's when the real fighting erupted.

"It's Brooklyn!" Mush yelled.

"Oi, Spot!" I shouted, waving.

"Ay, beauty!" he yelled back.

I rolled my eyes but was grateful he was here. "Hey, Jack! It's Spot! He's here!" I yelled, trying to get his attention.

I was punching left and right, thankfully catching the men by surprise. I had my fellas teach me how to throw a punch. It came in handy.

I didn't see a man coming at me, but I found out when I felt his foot in my stomach. The force of him kicking me down knocked all the air outta me.

I was on the ground. I couldn't get up. Right when he raised his foot again, I covered my face. This was going to hurt. Before I felt his foot stomp me, he yelled out, grabbing his face. One of the marbles from the slingshots must'a hit him.

While he was distracted, I got up as quick as I possibly could. I threw my fist into his stomach then his throat. Just for good measure, I kicked him where it would hurt. He fell to the ground, groaning.

"Oi, beauty! Hold on!" Spot came swinging on a chain from the fire escape. He got low enough to where I could grab on. I jumped on and he grabbed me to make sure I wouldn't fall. We both put our feet out to knock down a couple of guys who were crowded around one of the fellas. They all went down like dead flies.

We jumped off the chain and landed. We both fell into each other as soon as our feet hit the ground. He grabbed my waist when he saw I lost my balance and my hand landed on the part of his chest that was exposed due to his shirt. I immediately moved my hand, embarrassed.

"Sorry," I said, hoping I wasn't blushing. "And uh, thanks."

"Youse look cute when ya blush, ya knows that?" he said, smirking.

I looked down and pushed away, that way Jack could get to him. He and Jack spit-shook and went to punching. Everyone was throwing punches left and right, they were. My arm was getting worn out!

Spot opened the gates and his newsies came in for backup. He had pulled his cane out and his newsies were holding wooden bats. I was so happy. We's may be able to beat 'em!

Soon enough, we beat them. We were all jumping up and down, cheering. We were ripping papes left and right. I found Spot, who was near Jack.

"Ya came. What possessed youse to keep ya word?" I asked.

"See, it wasn't a what, beauty. It was a who," he said.

I looked at him and slightly smiled. Half of me was pleased and the other half of me was scoffing. He returned the smile.

I ran and hugged Davey and Jack, Race, Blink and Mush. I couldn't believe we did it.

"Jack! Jo! Boys! Freeze!" I heard a voice yell. It was Denton with a camera. I stood in front of Jack and smiled. Jack tried to get everyone's attention, but, it wasn't exactly what Denton was thinking. Everyone froze in their place in their exact stance. Then the camera flashed.