All I Want Is Happiness

It's been almost a year and Robotnik didn't have the heart to tell his most faithful assistant just exactly what he was feeling about him. Yes, the man with 5 PhDs is in love with a man who has always been by his side. On paper it felt right. It felt pure. However, things on paper weren't always a reality, and the doctor had to know that this was something he couldn't just have appear in front of him. Especially not after the bomb he had just found out about.

"Didn't you hear? Stone has a boyfriend. I heard their first date was at this super fancy restaurant and--"

Ivo had stopped listening to whatever lifeform was telling him the bad news. He went back to his lab to finish on his latest project rather than eat the rest of his lunch. He had valuable time to be spending on working on updating his robots than to sit there listening to the babble about something that made Ivo feel a certain way. It was like anger, but for a different reason than annoyance. Physically, the doctor felt his stomach begin to turn and fire start in his fists and in his chest. Combined with the feeling of suffocation, he realized that it was a new feeling that he had. It was certainly familiar, but that feeling was so small and would only happen when he saw Stone talk to anyone else at the office.

Robotnik was jealous.

He tried not to think about it, but it was the truth. He was jealous. There was no reason other than he wanted to wear the title of Stone's boyfriend. Ivo wanted to spend time with him in a fancy restaurant. He wanted to hold the agent in his arms and never let go. But he couldn't. No one would like him back. He was cold, rough around the edges, and totally undateable. He had liked it that way all his life, so why would he want it to change now? Robotnik had finally found warmth, and because of that he got himself addicted to the thought. That's why he wanted it to change.

The doctor took a long breath, realizing he was barely focusing on what he was doing. He heard a familiar voice talking, but wasn't too focused on what he was saying. He turned around to see agent Stone holding two lattes.

"Are you alright? I kept trying to get your attention to let you know I have your latte."

"Thank you. Set it on my desk and get lost. I have important business to attend to." Ivo turned around and began to appear busy. He mentally kicked himself for being so cold to Stone, but he deserved it. Who the hell toys with other people's emotions and then just date someone else? Assholes, that's who. People who don't care. People who just think life is a game. People who--

Shit.

The next thing Ivo knew, there was latte all over the place. Stone had run over with towels to help clean up the mess. Robotnik took them away and gave the agent a cold look before cleaning up the mess himself. How could he be so careless?

"Would you like me to make you another--"

"Shut up and go to your boyfriend!" Ivo paused for a moment, then looked away with a huff. He cleaned up the rest of his lab. He had embarrassed himself so much today, and he didn't think it could get any worse.

"Sir? Are you...okay? I don't have a boyfriend."

"But...don't play these silly games, Stone."

"Doctor, were you thinking about what Jamie said in the breakroom?"

Ivo went back to work. He wasn't about to be told he was wrong. Suddenly, he was forced to spin towards the agent.

"Like hell I am going to let you ignore me. You've been acting weird lately, and it's bothering me. You don't treat me like you used to. You have tracked me before, and now you're getting angry over my non existent boyfriend, who, may I add, would be none of your damn business. Doctor, we are a team. I can't work like this anymore. You either tell me or--"

"Stone, please calm down. I--"

"Tell me what is wrong! Did I do something?"

"No I--"

"Is there something you don't want me to know about?"

"Stone, I-"

"What is wrong?"

"I love you! Okay?"

He said it. Ivo just said that out loud for anyone to hear. He looked at the ground, taking a deep breath.

"I seem to have caught feelings for you, agent Stone," he mumbled softly, unable to look the agent in his eyes as he awkwardly looked around the room. This was what he didn't want. The silence. The deafening silence was getting too much for him.

It seemed like hours, but it was only a couple seconds before Stone shyly smiled.

"Alright."

Alright? All he had was an "alright?"

Ivo stared at him. His leg was shaking uncontrollably, and all Stone had was an alright.

Stone took a couple more moments before he took the doctor's hand on his own.

"Doctor Robotnik?"

"Yes?" Ivo looked both pissed off and scared. Stone chuckled a little.

"Would you like to go on a date with me?"

All Robotnik could do was nod once.