ch. 2 / 2013 haircut

January 1, 2013.

I was at my hometown friend's house. Coming home from college is always so weird. Especially freshman year, everyone is still trying to one up each other. I honestly didn't even really want to be here. My best friend from home dragged me here.

She was wasted. I was a little tipsy, but I knew she'd get wasted and that I'd have to find a way home for us.

"Kate?" I asked as she rested her head on my shoulder, eyes rolling back into her head and her hair falling in her face.

"Kate woah woah," she started falling down and I quickly stood to support her. Luckily my friend Josh saw me from across the room. I signaled for him to come over and he took Kate off of me.

"You ready to go?" He asked. Josh was my designated driver. He can't drink because he plays football at college and believes in peak performance for his body.

"Yeah if you don't mind. Happy New Year by the way!" I laughed in a mocking tone.

"You as well Madi," Josh winked then picked Kate up like a bride and headed for the door.

"Oh wait-" Josh stopped. "Do you have the-"

"Barf bag? Yeah I got it. We're good," I said my goodbyes on the way out to people I'd hopefully never see again after this and followed Josh out of the crowd.

Suddenly Kate gets a second wind and started shouting in coherently. The people around her grew quiet and she was hysterically laughing. Then I could make out what she was saying.

"You know what everyone! My best friend Madi is gonna be in One Direction!!!! How amazing is she??!?" She barely could make the words but people understood her regardless.

My eyes widened and I shoved Josh out of the party.

"She's just kidding haha!" I yelled as we left the house.

"What was that about?" Josh asked as he laid Kate down in the back seat of his car. I sat next to her and laid her on her side with the barf bag ready in case. Josh got in the front seat and started the car.

"Oh nothing." I said, stroking Kate's hair.

"Madi." He said looking into the rear view mirror.

"Okay, well, I sorta have an interview tomorrow to be some assistant to some manager assistant person for One Direction while they're on their North American leg of their next tour." I honestly had no idea who I'd be reporting to but it definitely wasn't the boys. It's hard to make that good connections where you actually work with them directly.

"Wait that's so cool! How'd you get that?"

"I have family friends who have friends with connections and I want to go into some sort of PR type stuff with celebrities so this is start, right?"

"Definitely. Well I can say I knew you when one day," he laughed.

"Ha. Ha. Funny." I rolled my eyes and smiled.

Kate started stirring around and kind of panicking.

"Where am I? What's going on?" She started to sit up.

"Kate you're with Madi and Josh. Josh is taking us home. You're safe I promise. How far are we?"

"Like 10 minutes. Maybe 15." Josh said.

"Okay okay. I think I need to throw up," Kate calmed down some. I started immediately tying her hair back and handed her the bag.

"Here you go baby. Let it out." I said rubbing her back. "But please don't puke in Josh's car."