seven

f i r s t   p r a c t i c e

It's the first day of tennis practice. Zhuo Zhi arrives with the other main players, minus the captain, and they begin practice.

Zhuo is on the court closest to the rookies, practicing with their vice captain, Chi Dayong , perfectly returning every ball straight to the basket. One of the balls Dachi hits goes flying to the rookie court. But a first year hits the ball with a powerful backswing straight to the basket. Impressive, Zhuo thinks. And he's not the only one that thinks so. As the main players approach the rookie, Zhuo Zhi recognizes the hat he's wearing from Lu Nam's camera bag. Her brother must be Lu Xia, famous tennis player from America, and the son of Lu Xiangqian, a Yu Qing legend, he pieces together.

-

"Hello Coach Qi," Nam greets as she walks into the tennis club room.

"Hi Lu Nam. What brings you here?"

"Oh... um... I was wondering... Could I continue my hobby here?" Nam asks, gesturing to the camera strapped around her neck. "I know the tennis club has strict rules."

"It's okay. We get a bit of paparazzi from time to time anyways. Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Have you not joined a club yet?"

"No."

"Why not the photography club?" Coach Qi asks. Upon seeing Nam's hesitation, she continues, "I would like to see you break out of your shell. And maybe you can do that with us."

"Huh?"

"I'll sign off as tennis being your club. I know clubs weren't something you had to do abroad, but here, in China, they're very important. You can be Yu Qing's official photographer. You should start after we have our qualifiers, and you'll have to be approved by the captain, of course, but I'm sure that won't be a problem."

"Thank you so much!" Nam exclaims in glee. "I'll take my leave now, Coach."

"Bye Nam."

As Nam rushes out the room, she runs into two people, not knowing that they are the captain and his vice. A quick "sorry" was muttered as Nam bounds out the door.

-

Nam hums a happy tune while she walks home.

"Hey dad," she greets.

"Why are you in such a good mood?" Xiangqian asks.

"I talked to Coach Qi today."

"Qi Na?"

"Mhm. And... I may be the official photographer for the tennis team since Coach Qi said I need to join a club."

"That's amazing," the elder laughs as he hugs his daughter.

Nam makes her way to Lu Xia's room, saying a simple, "hey."

"Hey," he greets back.

"How was practice?" she asks.

"It was okay," Xia responds with a smirk, thinking back to how he completely dominated Huang Jing again, even if they had to run laps because of it.

-

That night, Lu Xiangqian calls the tennis coach.

"Hello," Qi greets,

"Qi Na, thank you."

"Of course. I'll always look out for your kids. They're both remarkable."

"Of course they are. I'm their father."

Qi Na ends the call.