Chapter 13

Waking up always seemed like the most arduous thing to do. I felt a ray of sunlight fall upon my face pushing me to open my eyes entirely. This was the day that everything was going to be back to normal. This was the day I got my freedom back. I can go home now and pretend nothing ever happened, pretend that I didn’t almost die a few days ago, pretend that I knew nothing about the odd folders which held information on illegal deals, and most of all pretend that I never met Adrian Vandermir.

Even though I was supposed to be thrilled to be leaving, I had this sickening depression within me. I mean, what if nothing is ever going to be normal for me again? What if these men were lying to me so I would leave because I was too much of a trouble for them? I’d admit that I wasn’t the nicest house guest to have around but Vandermir was not the best host either.

I quickly took a shower feeling a little bit relieved that all this drama would be over now. Adrian must have stepped out since I didn’t see him in the rooms anyway. As I was finished, I told myself that I would wear my own clothes because I didn’t want anyone to think of me as a greedy freeloader. Apparently my clothes weren’t there in the set of clothing either, now that I mention it, it was never there. It was a little frustrating just frantically searching for something that wasn’t there anymore so I decided to wear something Finny bought for me. On the top of the stack of clothing I placed in the closet was a short scarlet flared dress entirely coated with red lace. Huh, I never saw that there before. It was gorgeous and honestly when I wore it, it fit so perfectly. My hair wasn’t at all messy so I brushed it through with my fingers. As I came out the room, I saw Adrian. He was staring at me again, but almost as if he was pleased with something. I hadn’t even realized that Finny and Ricardo were sitting on the couch behind either.

“How pretty you look.” Finny smiled.

“Uh…thanks.” I replied awkwardly. I was never really comfortable getting compliment from anyone. It was always a bit strange every time, even though I did get it often.

Adrian walked into the office room again ignoring me while Finny stood up to me.

“You have pretty good taste in clothes I have to admit Finny.”

“Oh, thanks but not this dress.”

“What?” I asked with a smile.

“I didn’t pick this dress. Maybe Adrian bought it for you yesterday. A lady was constantly nagging us to purchase something when we were passing by a bouquet yesterday. He must’ve gotten frustrated with her and bought this.”

“Ohh…” was all I could say. It felt weird wearing something Adrian picked out for me. If I knew he bought this then I would’ve have worn it at all.

“So, are you ready to go then?” Ricardo asked.

“Yes.”

“I’ll drop you instead of Ricardo if you want Juliet.” Finny offered.

Finneas, I don’t know why but I still can’t bring myself to see you the way I used to see you. It wasn’t a big deal that you were hiding something personal but what really hurt me was that it didn’t seem like you regretted lying to me. It was as if you were accustomed to doing it so much and if you can do that so perfectly then there’s more to you than meets the eye. And honestly, that scared me because now I know you are as dangerous as the rest of these guys.

“Juliet?” Finny continued.

“It’s alright. Ricardo can drop me. You don’t have to trouble yourself.”

Even though I had considered Ricardo to be alarming at first he was the one that was honest to me. He was the one that didn’t seem to mind telling me the truth. And maybe I could trust him to drop me back, just this once. Finny seemed a bit surprised and at the same time slightly hurt by that, almost as if he had a puppy but it chose another master. I hated that look on his face, it made me feel miserable about myself. I didn’t mean to wound him in any way but he was the one lying to me and that hurt me a lot because I trusted him the most.