Chapter 12

The only thing I wanted right now was a hug from my little sister Nina. For some odd reason, whenever she’s with me I feel like I can get through the tough times. She is honestly the most lovable happy go lucky seven year old kid I ever saw. Sometimes I wondered if she ever thought about our parents. Doesn’t she want to know about them? I’m sure the other kids in her school talk about theirs, how does Nina even feel when someone asks her about hers? The poor child doesn’t even know her mom and dad. She was just a baby when they died, so how would she even know anyway?

My thoughts seemed like acid flowing through my mind. Nothing was as simple as I thought it was before. Quite frankly, I don’t think anything could be again. The door suddenly opened when Adrian walked in and ignored me sitting on the sofa. How could someone be as harsh and autocratic as he is? He took his jacket off and placed it carelessly on the chair while loosening his tie. That goofy fun loving kid in the picture I saw earlier disappeared as I realized how mature the man in front of me was. Adrian Vandermir seemed tired, although it didn’t show too much, I knew he was. His gloomy grey eyes dimmed and his hair fell a little flatter. Nothing could change the fact that he was still ‘Mr Perfect’ but there was something else about him, he seemed like he was hiding something. He was fighting something, himself? There was a depth within his eyes, a danger, a past. My curiosity about him was driving me insane, almost as if he knew I was gazing at him he looked towards me but I averted my eyes quickly. I didn’t want him to know I was actually deep in thought about him, but lately I found myself doing that quite often. It was a bit embarrassing.

“You want to ask me something Miss Greene?” he wickedly smirked.  

Damn, he knew I was staring.

“No, why would I want to waste my time with you?” I replied although I actually did want to ask him so many questions.

“Yes, why would you do that?” He said keeping his expression plastered.

He didn’t buy it.

It was irritating that he knew when I was lying. I hated that so much about him. It made me feel vulnerable around him, like an open book. It’s like he could read me without even hearing me speak. I bite my lip out of nervousness and worry.

“Relax Greene, I’m not going to eat you, I’m on a diet from women since the past couple of years.”

Past couple of years? Was he actually trying to answer one of my questions indirectly? Was he actually revealing something about himself? Or was it just a stupid way of telling me to stop looking so damn tense?

“Go stick yourself in the freezer.” I mumbled to myself quietly. He was so odd, his mood swings were acting up again I realized.

“I beg your pardon madam?” he asked putting his hand out to me in reach of the room phone beside me.

“I said, go stick yourself in the freezer and chill out Mr Cryptic.” I replied boldly as I slammed the phone in his hand.

“How manner less and untrained you are. Didn’t I warn you about that mouth?” he said grabbing the phone and my hand in his as well.

“Let go of me.” I ordered angrily.

Adrian looked at me and suddenly yanked me up from the couch. He pressed me tightly against him, still keeping my aching hand in his.

Don’t tell me what to do.” His voiced iced through me sending shivers down my body.

“A-Adrian...” I softly whispered.

The way I was feeling at that moment was sickening, I detested being so helpless. That too because of a man.

“It’s Mr. Vandermir to you,” he said in his sickly beautiful voice, “I don’t particularly like being ordered Ms. Greene.”