Chapter 5: Katelynne

I woke the boys up at 8:30. "Good morning," I greeted cheerfully.

     Rowan groaned and Liam rolled over in his bed. I could feel the happiness from the doorway.

     "Come on guys. Dad will be here in an hour and a half and Kellin said he'd call at 9," I told them hoping that it would get them moving.

     "Kellin's gonna call?" Rowan asked sitting up in bed. I knew that would make him happier.

     "Yep," I answered with a nod.

     "Awesome," Liam exclaimed happily.

       "Come on. Get dressed," I told them, "Or you won't get to talk to Kellin." It was amazing how much they loved Kellin. When we first started dating, I wasn't sure how they would take to him, but they instantly loved him.

       I walked out of the room to get Copeland. I got her and strolled into he kitchen and put her in her highchair. I pulled out 3 bowls, cereal, and milk and set them on the table.

     A few moments later, the phone rang and it was Kellin, just like he had promise.

       "Hey, babe," Kellin's voice said. I loved the way his voice sounded. He sounded really happy.

     "Hey," I replied.

     "Are the boys up yet?" he questioned.

     "Yeah, you wanna talk to them?" I asked

.      "Yeah, of course," he said as if I should have known. I laughed.

     "Who wants to talk to Kellin first?" I asked Rowan Liam taking the phone away from my ear.

     "Me," Rowan said, "I'm older." I smiled and handed him the phone.

     "Hi Kellin," he said happily. I loved how Kellin could make him so happy.

     After about 15 minutes, they switched. It was 9:45 when Liam handed the phone back to me.

     "How's Cope?" Kellin asked me.

     "She's good. I'm sure she misses you, though," I answered. I looked over at her. Rowan was keeping her occupied and she was smiling. I was grateful that they kept her happy when I was busy. I don't know how I would get much done with out them.

     "Good," he said at the same time there was a loud knock at the door.

     "Kell, I gotta go. Rob's here for the boys," I informed him. Rob was Rowan and Liam's father. I really disliked seeing him since we got divorced, but it had to be dome for the boys.

       "Ok. I love you," he told me.

     "Love you, too," I told him and hung up. I slipped my in my back pocket and ran to answer the door.

     "Hi," I greeted Rob, "Come in."

     "Hey. Thanks," he said and we walked into the kitchen.

     "You guys almost done your breakfast?" I asked the boys.

     Rowan nodded, but Liam looked like he was dreading the next week of his life.

     "Where are their bags?" Rob asked.

     "In their room," I told him and directed him the right way.

     "You guys got a nice place," Rob commented. He had only been here once and he just stood in the living room. I remember the place Rob and I used to have. It was nicer, considering Rob had a better job and made a lot more than Kellin. I didn't mind Kellin not making a lot. He loved what he did and that was all that mattered. He made enough for us to get by, which is all I could ask for.

     "Thanks. You wanna sit down while Liam finishes?" I asked.

     "Sure," he replied and sat down next to Copeland's highchair.

     "Where's Kellin," he asked.

     "He left for tour yesterday," I informed him. I took Rowan's bowl and brought it to the sink.

     "Oh, he's gone a lot, isn't he?" he questioned, looking at Copeland.

     "Yeah, but he has to be gone," I told him, rinsing out the bowl and putting it in the dishwasher.      "Yeah," he said. He didn't sound like he believed me. What right did he have to judge Kellin and me?

     "You done, Liam?" I asked.

       He nodded reluctantly and put his dishes in the sink.

     "Ready to go?" Rob asked and the boys nodded.

     I bent down to kiss and hug them. "Wait!" Liam exclaimed, "We didn't say goodbye to Copeland!" I smiled as he and Rowan ran into the kitchen to kiss Copeland goodbye.

     "Bye, Cope," Liam said and they ran back to us.

     "Be good for your dad," I told them.

     They went to the car and drove away.

     "Looks like it's just you and me, Cope" I told her. She smiled happily and I sighed. The house felt more lonely than it ever had.