n i n e

if you are reading this story on any other platform apart from Wattpad (https://www.wattpad.com/home) you are very likely to be at the risk of a malware attack. if you wish to read this story in it's original, safe form please go to (https://www.wattpad.com/user/a_soft_bun). thank you!

n i n e

"Adah," his satin-like voice reaches her ears.

She halts in the threshold of the door, about to leave the room where the meeting commenced. All the other wolves had left before her, Uriah giving her a sly wink as he passed her. Her form turns around, watching the King who was only a few feet away from her.

His form towered over her, eyes are fixated on hers, intense and light as the moon, but unreadable. She didn't know what he was thinking. She knew her little outburst may not have been the most appropriate, especially on her very first meeting, on her very first day. She should have kept to herself. A Queen makes all decisions with a clear, cool and composed mind. Adah was fuming during the end of the meeting, her wolf defensive over her male. That wasn't okay – she had to control herself.

Silence berates them both for a small moment, before Adah's stomach growls loudly. Her eyes widen, and her head drops with a little embarrassment, rolling her eyes are at herself. Her cheeks grow a tad warm, flushing.

The King's expression falters slightly, but it is too minuscule to be interpreted.

"Come with me," his tone dry.

It is a demand, not a question, and he pushes past her, his form brushing past hers. The contact just makes her cheeks involuntarily deepen in pink. Her wolf is already prepared, belly up and eagerly awaiting.

She doesn't know where they walk, but she keeps a distance behind him, trying to attempt to collect and compose herself. They walk into the dining room, where the lights have all shut off. A few maids linger in questioning, but a wave from the King dismisses all of them. Adah's brows furrow in curiosity. He leads them past through doors, and into the main kitchen. It is empty, the kitchen closing for the night, and the few maids left leave quickly.

He switches on a few lights, only allowing the corner of the room to be lit with white light, the rest of the kitchen still shrouded in darkness. With narrowed eyes, Adah peers around. It dimly reminds her of a big restaurant kitchen. Everything was clean, slated and polished, and had been tidied. It felt cold, and Adah burrowed into her hoodie more, pulling up the hood over her curls.

"Sit," another demand from his lips, tone cool. His hand gestures to the counter, and Adah looks at it warily.

"I don't think that's sanitary," she mutters under her breath, and the King simply looks at her, eyes narrowed. She rolls her eyes, before hopping up, legs swinging below. The counter was cold, her ass freezing, so she moves to warm up.

Her dark brown eyes watch the male next to her, deep in thought.

"You can cook?" the mumble comes out of her unintentionally. She was meant to keep that thought to herself. His hands move swift, already having pasta boiling in one pot, and already working on a creamy, cheesy sauce in the other.

"Why is that a surprise?" the silk in his voice responds back, tone unemotive. She shrugs, huddling in her hoodie more, eyes watching him carefully.

"Thank you," her voice is soft and pleasantly surprised at the fact that he would make her food, and the male just grunts in response. He was her mate, and although he couldn't give her everything, he would give what he could.

Silence falls upon them again – but it isn't uncomfortable. If anything, being the in the partially lit kitchen, in the night, without the presence of other people, wasn't that bad. It was almost peaceful in an absurd way.

"I'm sorry. For what happened back in the meeting. I didn't mean to burst out that like that. It was inappropriate," Adah says after a while, head thinking hard, her tone quiet. Micajah dumps the water out of the pot, before pouring the pasta into the sauce, tossing it in the pan.

"You don't have a reason to apologise. You were simply doing what a mate does, defending her male. It isn't uncommon upon mates," he utters, eyes not looking at her.

"You've shown my wolves who you are. You did well. Don't apologise," his voice is deep, before setting a plate of pasta before her, and sliding a fork next to her.

She forks some into her mouth. The pasta was silky and soft, and the sauce was creamy and rich, with the perfect amount of cheese. The plate is shared between them.

"I would've done that, mate or not. It isn't right. You haven't done anything for these wolves to distrust you, and these wolves were from your own pack. They should've known better than act like this," her tone is very quiet.

"They don't know any better Adah. Like the rest of the country, these wolves didn't encounter me until I took the position," The King doesn't offer anything in return after that.

"Well we'll have to rebut that quickly. Before it gets out of hand," she rolls her eyes, swearing under her breath, annoyed about how wolves judged based on exaggerated rumours alone.

The King looks at her intensely, when the word 'we' slipped out so easily. The bond brings them closer, much quicker than he thought. His wolf his satisfied with it, purring at the fact that she's thought of them together. He isn't so sure.

"How do you know they aren't right Adah? You don't know me, just like these wolves. You haven't seen what I can be," the tone is harsh.

"It's not like you know me either Micajah," she mutters, watching his eyes darken in colour. He turns from her.

The conversation halts right there, leading Adah to think about what the King said, pondering over it.

A male more wolf than man. What does that look like? Maybe it doesn't look like anything.

She thinks about it throughout the rest of the night, when they leave the kitchen and head up to the bedroom in utter silence, and continues thinking until her head hits her pillow and she's out like a light.

A/N - okay so this is a lil short. sorry.

what are your thoughts on adah?

what do you think about micajah?

what about the overall story? plot, dynamics, pace. the quality isn't great - idk where im planning for this to go, kinda just winging it.

let me know :)