2 | Guilty

Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions.

I clip Cookie back on the leash and run. I just bolt out. Soon enough, I make it out of the forest.

'Phew', I sigh. 'Come on Cookie, lets go back', I say and we head back to the main road.

'Mum! Did you. I was. There is', I puff out.

'A freaking BUSH FIRE!', I yell and slam my hands on the kitchen table.

'Yeah like when I was jogging there with cookie, I saw smoke', I exclaim.

'What! Pepper, be careful', says mum. 'Dont get hurt'. She walks over to me and inspects my skin.

'I didn't get burnt mum, obviously', I roll my eyes.

'Okay. And I got the groceries', I say and grab a sugar plum out of the bag and slump it down on the marble countertop. I head upstairs and bite into the sweet flesh of my favourite fruit.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
'Meet you out your door in 5 minutes', says Jess on the phone.

'Where are we going', I exclaim.

I hate surprises.

'Somewhere fun and get changed', says Jess and hangs up.

I make my way to my wardrobe and pull out my hoodie and denim shorts. I get changed.

Beep, honks Jessica. I look out of the dusty window. She's in her black car waiting for me. I go down stairs and shout to mum.

'Im going out, be there back by six', I say and run out the door in a flash before she can change her mind.

'Where are we going', I exclaim to Jess as she parks her car at Adrian's house.

People enter the driveway. They wear bras and underwear.

'What the hell', I say.

I look closely and no they are not wearing underwear.

Bikinis

'Oh no', I say.

'Jess! I can't!', I explain.

I shake my head repeatedly.

'Come on Pepper, it's been like a few months and I never said you have to swim', she suggests and pulls me to his house. "I need you here, Brax is going to be here and I don't want to be alone!", she says.

'Plus he is really nice and I think he has a crush on me and I like him too', pleads Jess.

'Why did you drag me here?', I question.

'Because your my bestie and you need to go out today. You haven't been socially out for a while. You need fun', she protests.

Now she is starting to sound like my therapist.

'Fine', I give up.

I nearly get a panic attack when I see the huge pool in the middle of the yard. My heart beats rapidly and I panic. I turn around.

'Jess! No no no!'

I squeeze my iPhone so tight it gives me marks.

'Pepper', says Jess calmly.

'Its ok. You can do this. Trust me', says Jess.

'Im staying out', I state and sit down on the chair. I grab my iPhone and browse on tumblr. Just when I was going to post a picture, someone interrupts me. Ben walks out of the pool and notices me.

'Hot', he says and nods toward me. I blush.

'Um excuse me', I state.

'It's freaking hot. The weather. Why aren't you going in', he Goes red.