part two

i woke up by a pillow slamming into my shoulder. i sat up way too quickly for my own good to be faced with an angry kiara.

"you fucking asshole," she spat.

"what is it now ki," i stood up, trying to gain my balance as i walked over to the kitchen.

"you missed our last day of school you dipshit! our last day of junior year and here you are, sleeping away the day," she went on.

i ran my hand through my hair. fuck had i really slept through the whole day.

"and now we have our fucking council meeting to make sure we're off the hook with our community service," she said. "get dressed and be outside in two minutes i literally can't even look at you right now."

fuck she was angry. like really really angry. i quickly put on the cleanest khakis i could find and a button down shirt.

i ran out the door and hopped in the van. ki was in the drivers seat, pope in the passenger.

"what the fuck man," pope grunted.

"i'm sorry i'm sorry, i didn't mean to skip okay. please just give me a break for once, i'm sorry," i said.

they gave each other a look before nodding their heads. we rode the rest of the day to the building in silence.

when we entered the room there were folding chairs organized into rows with an aisle down the middle. we were unfortunately seated in the front.

community board members began to file in and sit in the seats. our local sheriffs and deputies also took their seats before a woman of the name mary conner took the front.

"thank you all for coming today. as you all know, we are here to discuss last summers events and the charges that were pressed because of it," she began.

"first i will touch on the charges against jj pope and kiara, sitting in the front today," she gestured towards us and i immediately gulped.

"these kids have been charged as an accessory to crime, in helping the escaping of a criminal. after gruesome trials last fall, i do not want to revisit the topic of their charges and the reasoning behind it,
so i will just continue on to discussing the community service they've been charged with.

"after a full school year of service, it is now decided you are free from probation. if anyone objects with this decision please say so now."

kiara, who sat between me and pope, was squeezing both of ours hands while we all held our breath. after what felt like hours of silence ms conner spoke again.

"alright then that's settled, congratulations jj, kiara, and pope," she smiled at us, a very fake smile might i add.

"now let's move on with the charges against ward and rafe cameron. this will be quick as we can all assume there are no changes but it is mandatory i must review them.

"ward cameron was charged as an accomplice for the murder of sherif peterkin. he remains in jail with his son on a five year sentence. rafe cameron's sentence is still undetermined after being charged with the murder of sherif peterkin.

"does anyone have any questions or concerns on the charges and sentences of ward and rafe cameron?"

the room was silent and mary conner continued.

"lastly we will touch on the missing persons case of john b rutledge and sarah cameron. there are no updates on the status of the two as of right now.

"john b rutledge, although not charged with murder, still remains charged as a fugitive from justice. no further comments will be made about john b rutledge due to his status as presumed dead," ms conner claimed.

ki took a sharp intake of breath at the speakers bluntness. i knew it was hurting her to hear them talk about john b, especially mentioning his current status in the eyes of society.

we didn't talk about him much now, as it's all we talked about in the duration of those months in the fall when they were searching for him and sarah's bodies or their boat.

mary conner made a few more statements about the status of cases and any news that was currently happening in our town. we all knew nothing would ever top the events of last summer.

the meeting was then adjourned and everyone dispersed.

"listen we could sit around and sulk... or we could go have a picnic on the boat in the marsh," pope suggested once we got outside.

"i'm in," ki said. "jj?"

"i don't know guys i-" i began.

"jj please," ki said softly.

"fine whatever, but can our picnic be food that you steal from the restaurant?" i asked, smirking.

i was referring to the wreck, which was a restaurant that kiara's family owned.

"ugh fine, go get the boat and meet me outside of the wreck in 20," kiara groaned.

"roger that captain," i replied. pope and i hopped into the van and headed to john b's where we still kept the boat.

we climbed in and got it started and began our drive.

"man that meeting was depressing. it's like all the memories from the trials last fall just came flooding back. hit me like a truck and... dude are you even listening to me?" pope said.

truth is, i wasn't. i was too busy staring at the boat coming towards us in the water. a boat all too familiar to me.

"nice to see you again asshole," the brunette shouted from her boat as it passed us. her hair was blowing in the wind and she was smirking. god i barely even knew her and already she annoyed me. that's just a kook for ya.

"can't say the same for you kook," i hollered, smirking right back at her. she flipped me off before driving her boat away in the other direction.

"yo who the fuck was that?" pope pushed my shoulder.

"new kook princess," i grunted, rolling my eyes.

"and you know her how? and she called you asshole why?" pope prodded.

"not important," i rolled my eyes as i steered the boat towards the dock where we saw kia strolling down with a cooler in hand.

"well she was hot is all i'm saying," pope mumbled before kia came in hearing distance.

"aren't they always," i smirked before reaching out a hand to ki to get on the boat. we drove off to the marsh where we anchored down and watched the sunset as we ate our dinner and drank beer.

"let the summer begin," i whispered.