Chapter 21: Final Assault

Everyone was now flying towards the military base, preparing themselves. The scientists were preparing everyone with syringes and tranquilizer guns that shoot out the cure, ones that could help infected soldiers, New Borns, and the ones Shadow was controlling, minus Shadow himself.

"So, will these work on Walten?" Tink asked. "I'm not too smart, but if Shadow is directly attached to him, he'd be infected too."

"Well, theoretically, it should weaken Shadow since he is the infection itself." The scientist told him. "I'm not sure how to break Walten out of his control, but the cure should weaken Shadow Guardian long enough for us to stop him. And if Walten is alive, maybe with Shadow weakened, he can break out."

Tink sighed in relief. He knew it was theoretical, but it was still relieving to hear something reassuring.

Miles faced the small army they still had. "Alright, we cure one solider and hack The Imposter and then fight off the army while these four take out Shadow Guardian. Is that clear?"

The soldiers saluted him. "SIR, YES SIR!"

Po just nodded, still feeling saddened by the fact she lost her friend to Shadow's bloody claws. Was this what Walten felt like when he couldn't save them years ago? She didn't like it.

Anne noticed and walked over. "Hey, how are you holding up?"

"O-Oh...Good..." Po replied.

Anne gave her a sympathetic look. "Hey, don't lie to me."

Po sighed. "I feel so guilty. I feel like I could've done more to help Walten. Maybe I could've used these spider legs to help him, or m-maybe I could've-"

"Po, look at me." Anne said. "Shadow is some kind of all powerful being to our kind, there was nothing you could do to him. Hell, me and Fiona went through weeks just to figure out what he was. You may not have been able to help him then, but you can help him now."

Po smiled a little. "Thanks."

"Anytime. I'd know he hate seeing you this way. And I know this isn't the time, but I think he likes you."

"Huh? We're friends. Of course he likes me." Po said, obviously confused.

Fiona overheard the conversation and smirked. "Y'know, like-like you."

"So...Best friends?" She asked again.

Fiona raised her arm a bit. "A little more than that."

"Super duper best friends?"

Anne shook her head. "No. More than friends."

"....Super duper ultra best friends? That's like the highest peak of friendship I know." Po said, feeling very stupid.

"No-"

Then, Connor spoke up. "Alright! We'll be right back! Don't get too close to the base or one of them will see us. This is a sneak attack and ambush for a reason."

They all nodded and watched two soldiers follow Connor out of the helicopter before it flew back into the air with the others. Thankfully, it was far away from the military base so that way none of The New Borns would see and attack, but when Connor and his team did arrive nearby, the grass was dead and gray, it seeming almost impossible for them to grow back even with tons and tons of hard work.

Connor looked around, putting away his sniper rifle and taking out his katana and lowering his helmet. He looked around, trying to see if he could find any sight of one of Shadow's generals when he suddenly saw a blue tubby with a black eye and chainsaw. He and the other soldiers quickly hid behind a wall when Ron turned his head, but saw nothing.